Bengali Tomato Chutney
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 78 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 94821 times
This tangy tomato chutney is richly flavoured with panch phoran, a blend of equal parts of mustard seeds, kalonji, cumin seeds, saunf and fenugreek seeds, which is commonly used in Bengali cuisine. While ginger and green chillies add spice to the Bengali Tomato Chutney, raisins and a spoon of sugar balance the tartness of tomatoes, making the chutney very pleasant to the palate.
- Heat the oil in a deep microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add the panch phoran seeds, mix well and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and mix well. Cover it with a lid and microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Add the raisins, ginger, green chillies and sugar, mix well and microwave on high for 10 minutes, while stirring twice in between after every 4 minutes.
- Cool and store refrigerated in an air-tight container. Use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.