by Tarla Dalal
Added to 169 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 58136 times
Here is a tasty rice delicacy, which we put together especially for those who love south Indian food.
The Cabbage Pulao is tempered with the traditional South Indian combination of mustard seeds and urad dal, along with red chillies, onions, parboiled chana dal and other ingredients that give the dish a unique texture and flavour.
We have included more of cabbage and less of brown rice in this recipe, to keep the fibre quotient high.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add the urad dal, asafoetida, curry leaves and dry red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and turmeric powder and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage, chana dal, salt and 1 tablespoon of water, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice and lemon juice, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Energy|| 162 kcal|
|Protein|| 5.1 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 26.6 gm|
|Fat|| 3.8 gm|
|Fibre|| 4.6 gm|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.