Stewed Rice in Manchurian Gravy, Chinese Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 14296 times
The mind-blowing blend of flavours and textures in this rice preparation is sure to excite your taste buds!
A truly tongue-tickling dish from the Chinese repertoire, Stewed Rice in Manchurian Gravy is prepared by stewing cooked rice with an assortment of sauces, thickened to the right consistency with corn flour.
Ingredients like spring onions, garlic and ginger are included appropriately to give the dish the right level of spice and flavour.
Ultimately, there comes a garnish of fried noodles which instantly boosts the excitement quotient of the dish to incomparable levels! Enjoy it fresh, immediately after preparation, to relish the splash of flavours and textures that it offers.
Try other Chinese recipes like Chinese Barbequed Tofu with Sesame Noodles or Chinese Fried Paneer in Hot and Sweet Sauce .
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the green chillies, garlic, ginger and spring onion whites and greens and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the prepared sauce, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice and little salt, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Top it with fried noodles and spring onion whites and greens and serve immediately.
Stewed Rice in Manchurian Gravy Video by Tarla Dalal
Stewed Rice in Manchurian Gravy, Chinese Recipe recipe with step by step photos
- In a small bowl, take cornflour. Cornflour helps in thickening the sauce quickly.
- Now add tomato ketchup. It provides a tangy flavor to the stewed rice.
- Add the chilli sauce. Red chilli sauce, chilli garlic sauce, sriracha are some substitutes to it.
- Add the soy sauce. It is packed with umami and acts like a secret weapon to enhance the taste of stewed rice in Manchurian gravy.
- Add the vinegar. The acidity from vinegar balances all the other flavours.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water and salt. Mix well with the help of a spoon and keep aside.
- If you are cooking rice freshly then cook in a deep non-stick pan rather than a pressure cooker as they tend to form a lump. Also, make them 2-3 hours prior.
- Firstly, soak ¾ cup of rice in enough water for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Boil 4 cups of water in a deep non-stick pan, add the soaked and drained rice, salt and ½ tbsp oil, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the rice are 95% cooked. This will give you 3 cups after cooking.
- Drain, transfer to a plate and allow it to cool for 2 to 3 hours. You can make them in the morning and use to make quick & easy stewed rice in Manchurian gravy for those nights when you don’t feel like spending a lot of time cooking.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the green chillies. Adjust the amount use as per your preference.
- Now add garlic. If you find the quantity more then reduce as per your choice.
- Add the ginger. These are popular ingredients used in Indo-Chinese cooking.
- Add the spring onion whites and greens and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes. You can even use red onions. If you love vegetables, then use bell pepper, baby corn, carrot etc. to make it more colorful.
- Quickly mix the prepared sauce once and add it to the pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- You will see the sauce has reduced beautifully. Add the rice and little salt, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Top it with fried noodles and spring onion whites and greens and serve immediately. Make crispy fried noodles at home using our recipe.
- Stewed rice in Manchurian Gravy is a complete meal in itself. You can accompany it with deep-fried starter recipes like Sesame Paneer or Crispy Threaded Tofu.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.