Meethi ( Sweet) Boondi
by Pooja Nadkarni
This recipe has been viewed 2657 times
Boondi is a Rajasthani snack made from fried chickpea flour. It is normally prepared sweet and can be also prepared plain.
Non sweetened boondi can be used to prepare raita which has yogurt and boondi mixed together. To prepare spicy boondi, the batter is mixed with spices and salt before frying .
This is the quick and easy sweet boondi .
- In a small tempering pan fry raisins and cloves on medium heat using 1/2 tablespoon of ghee till raisins puff up. This should take just a minute.
- Remove and keep aside.
- Sieve the gram flour and baking soda together.
- Add water little by little to form a thick paste.
- Keep adding water till you get flowing consistency batter but take care not to use too much water or too less water.
- Divide the batter into 2 by taking in two separate bowls. Add orange food color in one and green in the other.
- Check batter consistency by dipping your finger in it and dropping a small drop in the hot oil. It it forms perfect ball, then the consistency is correct.
- If it becomes flat, then the batter is too runny, add little more flour. If it forms tails then the batter is too thick. Add little more water.
- Normally to prepare boondi, we use boondi laddle with small holes. But I don’t have one so used my flat grater.
- In a pan, add oil and heat it.
- Check if the oil is properly heated for boondi, drop one small drop of batter in it and if it forms a ball within no time, then the oil is perfectly hot.
- Keep the heat on medium.
- Now hold the grater on top of the oil, take a laddle full of batter and pour it over the grater and spread with laddle so that the batter drops down through the holes in the oil.
- Spread it with the laddle .
- Flip the boondis in 3-4 seconds and remove on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Repeat for both colored boondis till the batter is over.
- In the other heavy bottom vessel, add sugar and water and cook on medium heat till sugar reaches 1 string consistency. Stir in between.
- One string consistency means if you take a drop between your thumb and index finger you can see a single string forming.
- Switch off the stove.
- Add powdered cashewnuts and fried raisins-cloves mixture to the fried boondis and mix well.
- Immediately drop these boondis in the sugar syrup.
- Mix well till they are coated in sugar making them soft and chewy.
- Keep aside to cool for around 30 minutes.
- The sugar will get absorbed completely in the boondis and will crystalize .
- Mix well and store in the airtight container.
This recipe was contributed by Pooja Nadkarni on 20 Nov 2015Hi,
My name is Pooja and I am housewife. I love to cook and try out different recipes. Also I love ...
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.