kaddu ki sabzi recipe | Rajasthani pumpkin sabji | bhopla ki sabzi | healthy red pumpkin vegetable |
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 92 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 70302 times
kaddu ki sabzi recipe | Rajasthani pumpkin sabji | bhopla ki sabzi | red pumpkin vegetable | with 30 amazing images.
kaddu ki sabzi is a healthy Indian sabzi made from bhopla. Learn to make Rajasthani pumpkin sabji.
A wide assortment of whole spices and seeds breathes life into the humble kaddu, transforming kaddu ki sabzi into a zesty treat!
This Rajasthani -style kaddu ki subzi is extremely easy to prepare, yet so tasty because of the mix of spices used in the tempering. Nigella and fenugreek seeds, especially, give the kaddu ki sabzi a classic Rajasthani flavour.
A sprinkling of dry mango powder adds an exciting tanginess to this kaddu ki sabzi while a dash of curds improves the taste as well as helps the spices bind with the pumpkin.
Pumpkin is a wonder vegetable – but sadly, its health benefits are not known to many. Red pumpkin contains a horde of valuable nutrients like fibre while also being low in calories. That makes it double desirable! Fibre helps to keep your gut healthy and also keeps you full for long hours. Lose yourself in the fabulous taste of this kaddu ki sookhi sabzi, while also soaking in its health benefits.
This healthy kaddu ki sabzi can be enjoyed by healthy individuals and also by those on calorie restricted diets.
At the bottom of the page we also show you how to make microwave kaddu ki sabzi with detailed step by step images.
Tips for kaddu ki sabzi: 1. Cut the pumpkin into big cubes, as after cooking they shrink in size slightly.
Serve kaddu ki sabzi hot with curds and bajra roti.
Enjoy kaddu ki sabzi recipe | Rajasthani pumpkin sabji | bhopla ki sabzi | red pumpkin vegetable | with step by step photos.
- To make kaddu ki sabzi recipe | rajasthani kaddu ki sabzi | heat ghee in a broad non stick pan.
- Add mustard seeds, methi seeds, kalonji, cloves, elaichi, cinnamon, bay leaf, hing and sauté for 10 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, chilli powder, coriander cumin seed powder, haldi and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on medium heat.
- Add 3/4th cup water, mix well and cover and cook on a low flame for 6 to 8 minutes or until the pumpkins are almost cooked, while stirring occasionally.
- Add curds, amchur, mix well, cook on medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve kaddu ki sabzi recipe | rajasthani kaddu ki sabzi | hot.
Kaddu ki Subzi , Rajasthani Red Pumpkin Vegetable recipe with step by step photos
like kaddu ki sabzi recipe | Rajasthani pumpkin sabji | bhopla ki sabzi | healthy red pumpkin vegetable | then see our collection of Rajasthani sabzis and some recipes we love.
what is kaddu ki sabzi made of ? See below image of list of ingredients for kaddu ki sabzi.
To make kaddu ki sabzi recipe | Rajasthani kaddu ki sabzi | healthy red pumpkin vegetable | bholpla ki sabji | heat 1 tablespoon ghee in a broad non stick pan.
Add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson).
Add 1/2 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds.
Add 1/2 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji).
Add 2 cloves (laung / lavang).
Add 1 cardamoms (elaichi).
Add 1 small stick cinnamon (dalchini).
Add 1 bayleaf (tejpatta).
Add a pinch of asafoetida (hing).
Saute for 5 to 10 seconds on medium flame.
Add 1/4th cup finely chopped tomatoes.
Add 1 tsp chilli powder.
Add 1 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder.
Add 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi).
Cook on medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add 3 cups red pumpkin (bhopla / kaddu) cubes.
Add salt to taste. We added 1/2 tsp salt.
Cook on a medium flame for 1 minnute.
Add 3/4th cup water.
Cover and cook on a low flame for 6 to 8 minutes or until the pumpkins are almost cooked, while stirring occasionally.
Kaddu is 90% cooked.
Add 2 tbsp fresh curds (dahi).
Add 1/2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur).
Cook on medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
Serve kaddu ki sabzi | Rajasthani kaddu ki sabzi | healthy red pumpkin vegetable | bholpla ki sabji | hot.
What is microwave kaddu ki sabzi made of ? See below details of what microwave kaddu ki sabzi is made of ? 1 1/2 cups red pumpkin (bhopla / kaddu) cubes
1 tbsp ghee
1 bayleaf (tejpatta)
1 small stick cinnamon (dalchini)
2 cloves (laung / lavang)
2 cardamoms (elaichi)
1/2 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
1/4 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
1/4 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
3/4 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
2 tbsp finely chopped tomatoes
salt to taste
1 tbsp fresh curds (dahi)
1/2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
Combine the ghee, bayleaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms, nigella seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seed powder and turmeric powder in a microwave safe bowl, mix well and microwave on high for 1 minute.
Add the chopped tomatoes, mix well and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Add the pumpkin cubes and salt, mix well, cover with a microwave safe lid and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
Allow to stand for 2 minutes, then add the curds and dried mango powder, mix well and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
Serve hot with puris.
kaddu ki sabzi is rich in Vitamin A, C, Magnesium, Thiamine, Folic Acid.
- Vitamin A : Vitamin A is crucial for healthy vision, cell growth and healthy skin. 89% of RDA.
- Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds. Have citrus fruits, lemons, vegetables ( capsicum, broccoli, cabbage). 13% of RDA.
- Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. It helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium. % of RDA. magnesium rich Indian foods like leafy vegetables (palak, broccoli, kale), pulses ( rajma, chawli, moong ), nuts (walnuts, almonds) , cereals ( jowar, bajra, whole wheat flour, dalia). 11% of RDA.
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells. 10% of RDA.
- Folic Acid (Vitamin B9): Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy. Folic acid rich Indian foods (kabuli chana, chana dal, yellow moong dal, urad dal, tooval dal, til ) 8% of RDA.
What to have with Kaddu ki Sabzi? Always confusing what to pair with a healthy sabzi. Rice or not. Our call is to look for healthy options. If you are having rice, we say take a very small amount of rice and loads of dal. Rice is high in carbs so watch it. We highly recommend having a bajra roti, jowar roti and whole wheat roti to make a healthy combination. Note that when you combine any dal with any cereal ( bajra, jowar, ragi, whole wheat ) then the protein quality is enhanced.
Cut the pumpkin into big cubes, as after cooking they shrink in size slightly.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.