How many calories does one serving of Sabudana Kheer have?
One serving of Sabudana Kheer gives 316 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 151 calories, proteins account for 36 calorie and remaining calories come from fat which is 129 calories. One serving of Sabudana Kheer provides about 16 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view Sabudana Kheer recipe. sabudana kheer recipe | how to make sabudana kheer | janmashtami vrat special recipe | Indian dessert for fasting | with images below.
sabudana kheer without jaggery is a tasty and satiating dessert, ideal to have on fasting days. Learn how to make sabudana kheer.
sabudana kheer made of sabudana cooked in milk and sweetened with sugar, is a janmashtami vrat special recipe which has a very rich taste and interesting mouth-feel.
As it keeps you full for a long time, sabudana is a popular food for fasting days. Due to its pleasant shape and unique texture, it is also loved by kids, so this sabudana kheer without jaggery is sure to become your entire family’s favourite!
To make sabudana kheer, soak the sabudana and keep aside for 1 hour. Heat the milk in a deep non-stick pan and boil on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the soaked sabudana, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 12 minutes. Add the sugar, saffron and cardamom powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the cashew nuts and raisins and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes. Pour it over the prepared sabudana kheer and mix well. Indian dessert for fasting is ready.
Tips for sabudana kheer. 1. Soak the sabudana in the measured amount of water given here. 2. While cooking the sabudana in milk, remember to keep stirring the mixture occasionally so it does not stick to the bottom of the pan. 3. Saute the cashew nuts and raisins on a slow or medium flame, else they will burn easily. 4. This kheer tastes yummy when served chilled. So refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
You can also try other kheer recipes like Seb ki Kheer or Makhane ki Kheer.
Is Sabudana Kheer healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Milk and Low Fat Milk : 1 cup of milk provides 70% of the Recommended Daily Allowance of Calcium. Milk promotes strong bones. The Calcium in Milk helps to protect your teeth against gum disease and keeps your jaw bone strong and healthy. Milk is low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels. However diabetics must consider including low fat milk as advised by their dietitian only so as to avoid any fluctuations in blood sugar levels. Protein is another key nutrient which milk is rich in - 8.6 g from a cup. So all those looking to build protein stores can add milk and its products like curd and paneer to their diet. One cup of Milk gives 10 grams of carbs. Low fat milk has lower fat and the same benefits of milk.
2. Ghee : Other than calories and fats, the only nutrients that ghee is rich in are the vitamins – all of which are fat-soluble. All the 3 vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K) are antioxidants which have a role in removing free radicals from the body and protecting our cell as well as help in maintaining skin health and glow. Ghee is an excellent, high-quality selection medium of cooking because of its high smoke point. As compared to most oils and butter, ghee can handle a smoke point of 230°C, 450°F, thus its less prone to oxidant and destruction of nutrients. Yes, ghee does contain cholesterol, but some amount of cholesterol is needed by the body. Cholesterol has some functions to play too. It is necessary for hormone production, brain function, cell health and lubricating the joints. It is, in reality, a high quality fat for the body and brain. Ghee is loaded with fats but that’s medium chain fatty acids (MCT) which aid in weight loss. Ghee is healthy for daibetics in small amounts and you need to check your fat intake at the same time. Learn to easily make your ghee at home which is free of preservatives. See benefits of ghee.
3. Cashew Nuts (kaju) : In general, walnuts, cashew nuts, peanuts, almonds, pistachios and pinenuts are a healthy snack to carry keep with you as they are rich in monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats and good for heart. They are a healthy snack for Diabetics. Dietary intakes of cashew and other foods rich in magnesium helps to regulate blood pressure. See 9 amazing benefits of cashew nuts for complete details.
4. Benefits of Cardamom, Elaichi : Cardamom has essential oil which is known to be effective is killing bacteria. This antimicrobial power of cardamom helps in relieving some stomach problems like stomachache, cramps, flatulence etc. The sweet yet strong aroma of cardamom makes it perfect to control Halitosis (bad breath). The mineral manganese in cardamom may help in the lower blood sugar levels and good for diabetics. See detailed benefits of cardamom.
What's the problem?
1. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
2. Sabudana, Sago : Sago is a super energy and carb loaded grain. Eating such high carbs at any meal, be it snack or lunch or dinner, is not considered to be healthy. Excess calories and carbs might lead to weight gain easily. Sago isn’t a very healthy choice for diabetics, as it might raise the blood sugar levels instantly. For details read is sago healthy.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Sabudana Kheer?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Sago is a super energy and carb loaded grain. Eating such high carbs at any meal, be it snack or lunch or dinner, is not considered to be healthy. Excess calories and carbs might lead to weight gain easily. Sago isn’t a very healthy choice for diabetics, as it might raise the blood sugar levels instantly.
What is a healthier Indian dessert option ?
We suggest you try low fat gajjar halwa recipe which uses dates as a sweetener and low fat milk which works well for diabetics. Also Dry fruits stuffed dates is healthy. Make oats and mixed nuts ladoo recipe which is sweetened by jaggery, oats and dates kheer and anjeer and mixed nuts barfi (not for diabetics).
Oats and Dates Kheer, Healthy Indian Dessert Without Sugar
Can healthy individuals have Sabudana Kheer?
No. Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
Sabudana Kheer is high in
1. Protein : Protein is required for the managing the wear and tear of all cells of the body.
2. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
3. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) : Vitamin B2 enables the production of red blood cells that contribute to the rise in your energy levels. So have more milk, curds, eggs and green leafy vegetables.
4. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. It helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
5. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
6. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 316 calories that come from one serving of Sabudana Kheer?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hr 35 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 32 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 42 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 54 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.