Makhane ki Kheer ( Indian Cooking)
by Tarla Dalal
4/5 stars 75% LIKED IT
3 GOOD - 1 BAD
Added to 323 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 53878 times
Makhane, with their interesting puffed appearance are a favourite with everybody, right from children to adults. While savoury snacks using Makhane are a hot favourite, these lotus seeds also lend themselves beautifully to sweet dishes, such as this Makhane ki Kheer.
Here, roasted and powdered makhane is cooked in milk, till the milk reduces to half. The rich aroma of this milk is further enhanced with intoxicating spices like nutmeg and saffron. This kheer tastes heavenly when served cold.
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the lotus seeds and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till they turn crisp.
- Remove from the flame, allow it to cool and blend in a mixer to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Boil the milk in a deep non-stick pan, add the sugar, mix well and cook on a high flame for 2 minutes or till the sugar dissolves, while stirring continuously.
- Reduce the flame to medium, add the coarsely crushed lotus seeds, mix well and cook for 19 minutes or till the milk has reduced to half, while stirring and scraping the sides of the pan occasionally.
- Add the saffron and nutmeg powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 more minute.
- Switch off the flame and allow to cool completely.
- Refrigerate for atleast 1 hour and serve chilled garnished with pistachios.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.