How many calories does one serving of Nachni Methi Muthia have?
One serving of Nachni Methi Muthia gives 318 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 236 calories, proteins account for 39 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 48 calories. One serving of Nachni Methi Muthia provides about 16 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Nachni Methi Muthia recipe. These super-tasty muthias made of nachni, methi and wheat flour pack a lot of good health and energy into their little forms. They make a very satiating snack, which provides the body with enough fibre, iron and calcium.
Is Nachni Methi Muthia healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Ragi flour ( Nachni flour) : Ragi flour is high in protein and great source for vegetarians. In addition its gluten free, high in fiber which in turn is good for diabetics and a healthy heart. Ragi flour creates a much lower surge in sugar levels compared to wheat. Ragi is rich in Magnesium which improves insulin response by lowering insulin resistance. A must read for the benefits of ragi to include in your daily diet.
2. Methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) : Methi leaves are low in calorie, powerful antioxidant and cures mouth ulcers. Fenugreek leaves help in improving glucose and insulin responses, hence good for diabetics. The levels of cholesterol also reduced with intakes of fenugreek leaves. Rich in Vitamin K which is good for bone metabolism. See all benefits of methi leaves here.
3. Whole Wheat flour : Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Whole wheat flour is rich in Phosphorus which is a major mineral which works closely with calcium to build our bones. Vitamin B9 helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially increase red blood cells. See detailed benefits of whole wheat flour and why it's good for you.
4. Spinach (Palak) : Spinach is one of the richest plant sources of Iron and it should be part of a healthy diet for everyone. Raw spinach is very rich in insoluble fibre, 25% having soluble fiber and 75% insoluble fiber. Spinach is good for the heart, diabetics and eyes. Read this on the 17 benefits of spinach and why you should eat it.
What's the problem?
Sugar : Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Nachni Methi Muthia ?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss BUT drop the usage of sugar. Ragi flour is gluten free, high in fiber which in turn is good for diabetics and a healthy heart. The levels of cholesterol also reduced with intakes of fenugreek leaves. Spinach is good for the heart, diabetics and eyes.
Can healthy individuals have Nachni Methi Muthia?
Yes. Have this with nutritious green chutney recipe which has ZERO sugar used in it made with mint leaves, onions and coriander.
Nutritious Green Chutney
Nachni Methi Muthia is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
3. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
4. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
5. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
6. Zinc : Zinc is involved in collagen synthesis and this helps repair skin and helps build immunity.
7. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
8. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
9. Iron : Iron is essential in the chemical reactions that produce energy from foods. Eat more greens and garden cress seeds to prevent you from being anaemic. Here are the top 7 sources of iron rich foods.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 318 calories that come from Nachni Methi Muthia?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1hr 35 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 32 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 42 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 55 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.