How many calories does one Jowar Roti have?
One Jowar Roti gives 49 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 41 calories, proteins account for 6 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 3 calories. One Jowar Roti provides about 2 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view. jowar roti recipe. jowar roti recipe | jowar ki roti | jowar bhakri | healthy jowar roti | sorghum roti .
Jowar roti is an unleavened Indian flatbread which is made with minimum of ingredients, jowar flour and salt. jowar ki roti is famous and consumed more in the Western parts of India. Make jowar roti soft of hard depending on how you like it.
Jowar is one of the top 5 cereals in the world and is also one of the super foods with many health benefits. We have a very easy recipe using jowar that is Jowar roti also known as "Sorghum roti"
We have made this healhy jowar roti with jowar flour and little salt to taste. The only trick is kneading of the dough. All you need to do is take required water in a deep non stick pan get it to boil and add jowar flour to it. Mix well and let it cool. Once it has cooled down a little, knead into a soft dough. Make sure the dough has cooled down or you may burn your hands. Rolling the roti requires skills, traditionally jowar roti is rolled using hands but you can also use a rolling pin. Once, the jowar bhakri is rolled, place it on a tava, make sure you cook it on a medium flame flipping both the sides and then cooked on a open flame till it puff ups or until brown spots appear on both the sides. Remove it in a plate and smear with ghee.
Jowar roti is super rich in fibre, is gluten free, good for diabetics, high in magnesium and iron also lowers blood pressure and cholesterol. We have used hot water for kneading the dough as it helps in getting the roti soft and even when not served for hours, it doesn't become hard or chewy. But you also need to make sure that you roll out the roti immediately after kneading the dough as if you would keep the dough for a long time, it will loose its moisture and would become splintery which would make rolling difficult. My grandmother would cook it on an earthen clay oven on a chulha which would give a smoky flavor to the roti. Whenever we cook jowar roti at home, i make any Maharashtrian sabzi to eat along.
This traditional and homely jowar roti | jowar ki roti| healthy jowar roti | jowarachi bhakri that is both satiating and incredibly tasty, is super filling and makes a wonderful meal served with any sabzi or had with green chilli thecha or red chilli thecha.
Green Chilli Thecha, Hirvi Mirchi Cha Thecha
Is Jowar Roti healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some. It can be confusing which Indian Rotis are healthy as there are so many options of flour to be used like plain flour, whole wheat flour, buckwheat flour and ragi flour. So which is the best.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Jowar is incredibly healthy and is way better than plain flour in making parathas and rotis. Jowar roti is made of jowar flour and salt. There is ZERO oil used in this recipe. Each ingredient has its benefits. Having a Jowar Roti will give you fibre and protein which is key to Vegetarians. Additional Jowar is rich in Iron, Magnesium which results in better calcium absorption leading to stronger bones.
Jowar Flour and even Bajra Flour is a better quality complex carb than whole wheat flour and hence your jowar roti is better than a Whole Wheat Roti.
Is Jowar Roti good for Diabetics?
Jowar is a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream and not cause a spike in insulin. Hence a good safe food for diabetics and also for those who want to live and eat healthy.
Fiber Rich Jowar Roti for Weight Loss. These gluten free Jowar Rotis are a great way to add on fiber to your diet. Simple to make, requires just 2 ingredients and can be served with any sabzi of your choice – be it a semi dry sabzi, sukhi sabzi or a sabzi with gravy. By lending 49 calories and 1.5 g or protein and 1.4 g of fiber, they make a wholesome substitute to whole-wheat rotis. The protein in it will help boost metabolism and fiber will give you a feeling of fullness to avoid junk eating. Both together will help you achieve your weight loss target. But remember to not miss out on your regular exercise regime, as diet control alone cannot help trimming the waistline. Serve it immediately to enjoy its true flavours.
Is Jowar Roti good for weight loss?
Yes, this recipe has only 2 ingredients. Jowar Flour + Salt. We have made this without oil and there is only 49 calories per Jowar roti. We give it a thumbs up as a super healthy Indian Bread.
Combine Jowar roti with a healthy Dal to enhance protein value
Combine roti with super healthy dal recipes like palak toovar dal, khatta urad dal recipe, suva masoor dal recipe, hariyali dal recipe and healthy kadhi recipe or Radish Koftas in Kadhi recipe to make a healthy combination. Note that when you combine any dal with any cereal like bajra, jowar, ragi, buckwheat, barley or whole wheat to enhance the protein value.
Hariyali Dal ( Cooking with 1 Teaspoon Oil)
Jowar Roti is good for
1. Healthy Recipes Lifestyle
2. Healthy heart rotis
3. Diabetics with heart issues
4. Diabetic rotis
5. High fibre to lower cholesterol
6. Low cholesterol rotis
7. High fibre for kids
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
How to burn 49 calories that come from Jowar Roti?
Walking (6 kmph) = 15 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 5 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 7 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 8 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.