How many calories does one serving of Coconut Sheera have?
One serving of Coconut Sheera gives 439 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 176 calories, proteins account for 23 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 240 calories. One serving of Coconut Sheera provides about 22 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See recipe Coconut Sheera | coconut rava sheera | nariyal sheera | coconut sheera with mava | with 15 amazing images.
Richness oozes out of very spoonful of this divine coconut rava sheera mithai. With the creamy taste of not just coconut but coconut milk too, the coconut sheera has a good dose of semolina and crumbled mawa for added volume, and a dash of nuts for an exciting crunch.
coconut sheera is made by sautéing rava on a tava, then adding coconut, almonds, raisins, sugar and coconut milk which is then cooked on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes. To that we add some cardamom powder and mava which is then cooked for 2 minutes to make the rich nariyal sheera.
Sweetened aptly with sugar and flavoured by classic Indian spices, this coconut sheera with mava is perfect for any special occasion.
I would like to share some important tips to make the perfect coconut rava sheera. 1. Sauté rava on a medium flame for 7 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour and aromatic.Stir occasionally so the rava does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Also, it helps in cooking evenly and not just browning. 2. You can add other dry fruits like cashew nuts, pistachios can also be added for crunch to nariyal sheera.
Is Coconut Sheera healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Coconut : The fresh coconut has saturated fats but most of it is MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) which promote weight loss. The high fibre content 13.6 gm (45.3% of RDA) along with high lauric acid content of coconut improves cholesterol levels in the body. Improving the action of insulin secretion and lowering the raised blood sugar levels is yet another benefit of coconut for Diabetics. See here for 10 amazing benefits of coconut.
2. Coconut Milk : Recent research says that not eating enough healthy fat can actually make fat. But you need to choose the type of fat correctly like coconut milk. And the answer is MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) – which goes directly to the liver and does not get stored as fat in body. Coconut milk contains some amount of potassium which is beneficial for those with high blood pressure.The lauric acid present in coconut milk has a positive effect on cholesterol levels improves heart health too. Read detailed benefits of coconut milk.
3. Ghee : Other than calories and fats, the only nutrients that ghee is rich in are the vitamins – all of which are fat-soluble. All the 3 vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K) are antioxidants which have a role in removing free radicals from the body and protecting our cell as well as help in maintaining skin health and glow. Ghee is an excellent, high-quality selection medium of cooking because of its high smoke point. As compared to most oils and butter, ghee can handle a smoke point of 230°C, 450°F, thus its less prone to oxidant and destruction of nutrients. Yes, ghee does contain cholesterol, but some amount of cholesterol is needed by the body. Cholesterol has some functions to play too. It is necessary for hormone production, brain function, cell health and lubricating the joints. It is, in reality, a high quality fat for the body and brain. Ghee is loaded with fats but that’s medium chain fatty acids (MCT) which aid in weight loss. Ghee is healthy for daibetics in small amounts. Learn to easily make your ghee at home which is free of preservatives. See benefits of ghee.
4. Almonds (badam) : Almonds are rich in B complex vitamins such as Vitamin B1, Thiamine, Vitamin B3, Niacin and Folate which plays an important role in the brain development. Almonds balances your cholesterol levels. almonds have a very low glycemic index and good for diabetics. See all 13 super health benefits of almonds.
5. Raisins, Kismis : The health and nutritional benefits of sun-dried raisins range from the classic nutrients - such as natural sugars and potassium - to newly discovered antioxidant factors, factors which have found an important place in medicine and nutrition only in the last twenty years. The natural sugars of raisins are a great source of energy and come packaged together with fiber and other nutrients. Since raisins are high in potassium and low in sodium this makes them an ideal part of a heart healthy diet. The fiber in raisins, combined with other food from plants high in fiber, helps to regulate intestinal function and proper elimination. Raisins like grapes are one of the few fruits that contain a reasonable level of tartaric acid that works together with fiber to help proper elimination and help keep the colon healthy. The phenolic compounds in raisins are powerful, protective antioxidants. When hungry for a snack reach for a handy packet of raisins for a natural satisfying snack and prevent overeating. Raisins have been successfully used as part of diets to lower blood cholesterol and prevent its damaging oxidation. Richest source of mineral boron, benefits the bones.
6. Benefits of Cardamom, Elaichi : Cardamom has essential oil which is known to be effective is killing bacteria. This antimicrobial power of cardamom helps in relieving some stomach problems like stomachache, cramps, flatulence etc. The sweet yet strong aroma of cardamom makes it perfect to control Halitosis (bad breath). The mineral manganese in cardamom may help in the lower blood sugar levels and good for diabetics. See detailed benefits of cardamom.
7. Mawa, khoya: Mawa being a dairy product is a concentrated source of vitamin D and calcium - two nutrients essential for bone health. But mawa is high in calories. It is high in fat too as it is made with full fat milk. Further it is used in Indian cooking to make sweets, so it is loaded with sugar. This further adds on empty calories.
What's the problem?
1. Rava (semolina, sooji) : What's good? Semolina is a fairly good source of Magnesium and phosphorus which is necessary to keep our nervous system healthy and working. But once again, it’s minus the fibre which is also one of the important nutrient to maintain healthy heart. So don’t opt for just the plain rava upma… instead toss in some sprouts or veggies and limit the amount of salt used and then add it occasionally to your meals. What's the issue? Fibre is one key nutrient for weight loss and semolina is devoid of it. Semolina is not suitable for diabetics. For details read is sooji healthy?
2. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and overweight individuals have Coconut Sheera?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. As explained above, sugar will create havoc in your body. Also too much ghee used and this fat level is not good.
Can healthy individuals have Coconut Sheera?
No, too much sugar.
What is a healthier Indian dessert option ?
We suggest you try low fat gajjar halwa recipe which uses dates as a sweetener along with low fat milk. Make oats and mixed nuts ladoo recipe which is sweetened by jaggery, oats and dates kheer and anjeer and mixed nuts barfi, dates and nut coconut balls, Dry Fruit Stuffed Dates sweetened by dates and zero sugar used, and healthy fig ice cream (not for diabetics).
Try a jowar based Indian dessert which is a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream. The jowar apple sheera recipe is made with the addition of cows milk and apples and sweetened with honey.
Low Fat Carrot Halwa, Healthy Gajar Halwa
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
One serving of Coconut Sheera is high in
1. Protein : Protein is required for the managing the wear and tear of all cells of the body.
2. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
3. Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) : Vitamin B2 enables the production of red blood cells that contribute to the rise in your energy levels. So have more milk, curds, eggs and green leafy vegetables.
4. Vitamin E : Vitamin E balances cholesterol levels, repairs damaged skin and keeps hair shiny.
5. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
6. Magnesium : Magnesium is required for formation of bones and teeth. It helps in the metabolism of calcium and potassium.
7. Phosphorus : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 439 calories that come from one serving of of Coconut Sheera?
Walking (6 kmph) = 2 hour 12 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 44 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 59 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 1 hour 15 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.