Jowar Apple Sheera, Healthy Indian Sweet
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 14019 times
It is hard to imagine Indian sweets without sugar but this sheera shows you that the possibility is real!
This yummy Jowar Apple Sheera has an amazingly satiating taste, with the natural sweetness of apple, honey and raisins.
Although it might not be as sweet as the normal sheeras, its pleasant taste is sure to go down well with everybody – especially those who are on the lookout for healthy alternatives.
Cow’s milk adds to the health quotient of this sweet, while also giving it a rich taste, which is accentuated by a dash of cinnamon.
Overall, the taste and mouth-feel of this sweet are very pleasing. At steps 2 and 3, the mixture will be very lumpy but keep stirring. As you add the apples at step 4 and continue stirring, the lumps will disappear.
You can also have a go at other healthy Indian sweets like Makhane ki Kheer and Ragi Sheera .
- Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan, add the jowar flour and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the milk, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds, while stirring continuously using a whisk.
- Add 1 cup of water and raisins, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously using a whisk and trying to break the lumps.
- Add the apple, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Switch off the flame, add the honey and cinnamon powder and mix well.
- Serve warm garnished with almond slivers.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.