How many calories does one piece of Besan Barfi, Quick Besan Barfi with Ghee have?
One piece of Besan Barfi, Quick Besan Barfi with Ghee gives 272 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 103 calories, proteins account for 19 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 150 calories. One Dosa provides about 7 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to see Besan Barfi, Quick Besan Barfi calories. Richness personified yet unbelievably easy to make, the besan barfi is an Indian sweet that even beginners can make very quickly. The secret of this besan barfi with ghee success lies in the proportions of ingredients and the smart methods of cooking them.
The use of besan together with semolina gives the besan barfi recipe a rich, slightly coarse mouth-feel like some exotic badam based barfi while the proper procedure of roasting these two ingredients well gives a nice aroma and taste.
Laced with cardamom and garnished with almonds, the besan barfi is a temptation none can resist!
5 notes and tips on making the perfect besan barfi with ghee. 1. Make use of a bigger pan to spread the besan mixture if you like thinner besan barfis. 2. Authentic Indian sweets are cooked in a heavy bottom pan over the low flame but, to save us some time and energy we are using a non-stick pan which will help in making the job easier. Use good quality ghee for flavorful barfi. 3. Semolina is used to give a nice coarse texture to the quick besan barfi. 4. If the besan is not roasted properly, you will have a raw taste and the besan barfi won’t be tasty. (I guess this time will vary, besan takes like 15-18 minutes to roast nicely. The color will change slightly and it will release a nice aroma of cooked besan. This step is very important in case the besan flour is not roasted well, then the raw smell will be there in the besan barfi too.) 5. Keep the besan barfi aside for 2 hours. Once cooled down completely, besan barfi hardens and gets a perfect texture. If your besan burfi doesn’t set, it means you have under-cooked the mixture.
Is Besan Barfi, Quick Besan Barfi with Ghee healthy?
No, this is not healthy recipe. Quick Besan Barfi are not good for weight loss, diabetics and weight watchers.
Lets understand the ingredients of Quick Besan Barfi
What's good in this Quick Besan Barfi recipes!
Besan : Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow. See 10 detailed benefits of besan and why it's good for you.
Ghee : Other than calories and fats, the only nutrients that ghee is rich in are the vitamins – all of which are fat-soluble. All the 3 vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K) are antioxidants which have a role in removing free radicals from the body and protecting our cell as well as help in maintaining skin health and glow. Ghee is an excellent, high-quality selection medium of cooking because of its high smoke point. As compared to most oils and butter, ghee can handle a smoke point of 230°C, 450°F, thus its less prone to oxidant and destruction of nutrients. Yes, ghee does contain cholesterol, but some amount of cholesterol is needed by the body. Cholesterol has some functions to play too. It is necessary for hormone production, brain function, cell health and lubricating the joints. It is, in reality, a high quality fat for the body and brain. Ghee is loaded with fats but that’s medium chain fatty acids (MCT) which aid in weight loss. Ghee is healthy for daibetics in small amounts. Learn to easily make your ghee at home which is free of preservatives. See benefits of ghee.
Benefits of Cardamom, Elaichi : Cardamom has essential oil which is known to be effective is killing bacteria. This antimicrobial power of cardamom helps in relieving some stomach rpoblems like stomachache, cramps, flatulence etc. The sweet yet strong aroma of cardamom makes it perfect to control Halitosis (bad breath). The mineral manganese in cardamom may help in the lower blood sugar levels and good for diabetics. See detailed benefits of cardamom.
Almonds (badam) : Almonds are rich in B complex vitamins such as Vitamin B1, Thiamine, Vitamin B3, Niacin and Folate which plays an important role in the brain development. Almonds balances your cholesterol levels. almonds have a very low glycemic index and good for diabetics. See all 13 super health benefits of almonds.
What's problem in this Quick Besan Barfi recipes!
Rava (semolina, sooji) : What's good? Semolina is a fairly good source of Magnesium and phosphorus which is necessary to keep our nervous system healthy and working. But once again, it’s minus the fibre which is also one of the important nutrient to maintain healthy heart. So don’t opt for just the plain rava upma… instead toss in some sprouts or veggies and limit the amount of salt used and then add it occasionally to your meals. What's the issue? Fibre is one key nutrient for weight loss and semolina is devoid of it. Semolina is not suitable for diabetics. For details read is sooji healthy?
Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Quick Besan Barfi?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours.
What is the healthy option for Quick Besan Barfi?
We suggest you try low fat gajjar halwa recipe which uses dates as a sweetener along with low fat milk. Make oats and mixed nuts ladoo recipe which is sweetened by jaggery, oats and dates kheer and anjeer and mixed nuts barfi, dates and nut coconut balls, Dry Fruit Stuffed Dates sweetened by dates and zero sugar used, and healthy fig ice cream (not for diabetics).
Dry Fruit Stuffed Dates
Try a jowar based Indian dessert which is a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream. The jowar apple sheera recipe is made with the addition of cows milk and apples and sweetened with honey.
Jowar Apple Sheera, Healthy Indian Sweet
Can healthy individuals have Quick Besan Barfi?
No, this recipe is not healthy barfi.
Quick Besan Barfi is high is these.
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
Skip having Indian junk foods like pav bhaji, bata vada, pakoras, gulab jamun as they cause your body to have insulance resistance. The resultant is your body will store more carbohydrates as fats, causing storage of fat in the stomach causing a paunch and slowing down of our fat burning process. So its a bad cyle which causes you more more hunger and fatigue every time you eat junk food.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds. Stress. The easiest way to kill your immune system is chronic stress.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that. Workout builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss, builds immunity and keeps virus or bugs away.
How to burn 272 calories that come from Quick Besan Barfi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hour 22 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 27 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 36 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 47 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.