by Tarla Dalal
Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 15041 times
Gathiya is a classic Gujarati deep-fried savoury snack, which is made of gram flour flavoured with ajwain. This version of the ever-popular tea-time snack also uses a dash of chilli powder to make it a little more spicy. The aroma of carom seeds and the mild spiciness of chill powder are very enjoyable, and linger on your palate for some time. Teekha Gathiya is easy to make. It uses only common ingredients and takes very little time. On your first try, you will also get the hang of the right way to move the sev press while pressing it. Make a batch of Teekha Gathiya and store it in an airtight container, so you can serve it to your guests during festivals like Diwali, with a cup of Masala Chai.
- Combine all the ingredients in a big bowl and mix well using a spoon.
- Mix well using your hands so as to break the lumps and knead into a soft dough using little water.
- Grease your hands using a little oil and knead the dough once again to smoothen it lightly.
- Grease a “sev press” (along with its lid and gathiya plate) using a little oil, press the dough into it and cover it with the lid.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, place the “sev press” above the hot oil (at a little distance) and turn the handle of the “sev press” so that half of the dough is forced out of the gathiya plate and drops directly into the oil.
- Move the “sev press” in a circular motion while turing the handle of the “sev press” in a circular motion at the same time.
- Deep-fry the gathiya on a slow flame, till they turn brown in colour and crisp while turning them at intervals. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 to make more gathiya in one more batch.
- Cool completely and serve or store in an air-tight container.
Teekha Gathiya (Diwali Dry Snack) Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values per cup
|Vitamin A||414.9 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B3||2.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||1 mg|
|Folic Acid||145.1 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.