by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 57 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 19390 times
A lip-smacking paratha that is self-contained in terms of flavour! The Spicy Paratha stands apart because of the method of preparation.
A combination of spices, seeds and ginger are roasted and powdered to make an aromatic and flavourful masala, which is deftly layered inside the parathas while rolling.This gives the Spicy Paratha a unique texture and flavour, which is quite different from what you get by the common method of mixing spice powders into the dough.
Roasting enhances the aroma of the spices, making these Parathas absolutely irresistible. Enjoy it hot and fresh with a cup of curds.
Do try other tasty parathas like Mooli Dhania Parathas and Onion, Cheese and Pepper Parathas .
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water. Keep aside.
- Combine the cumin seeds, asafoetida, whole dry red chillies, cardamom, cloves and cinnamon in a small non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely, and blend in a mixer to a smooth powder. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan, add the nigella seeds and ginger and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Switch off the flame, add the prepared powder and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Sprinkle approx. 1½ tsp of the masala evenly over it.
- Fold it over into a semi-circle. And then fold it once more to form a small triangle.
- Roll again into a big thin triangle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the paratha, using 1 tsp of oil, till golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat steps 2 to 6 to make 7 more parathas.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per paratha
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.