Poha Pakoda, Poha Pakora
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 20 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 37947 times
The Poha Pakoda is a scrumptious snack that you can quickly and easily prepare in the evenings to serve with Tea or coffee.
Poha Pakoda is very simple and uses minimal ingredients, so you do not have to think twice about making it even after a busy day. After all, some days are worth celebrating, with or without a reason, and who wants to have just biscuits with their tea on such days?
So, go for this crispy and tasty Poha Pakoda snack that is sure to steal your heart with its unique mouth-feel, which combines the crunch of poha with the succulence of potatoes. Over all, a sure-shot hit with the entire family!
You can also try other Pakodas like Moong Dal and Rice Mini Pakodas or Methi Pakoda.
See step by step photos and vide of Poha Pakoda below.
- Clean and wash the rice flakes in a sieve in enough water.
- Transfer the poha into a deep bowl, add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 15 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a ball.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry a few poha pakodas at a time till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper.
- Serve the poha pakodas immediately with green chutney and tomato ketchup.
Poha Aloo Pakoda Video by Tarla Dalal
Poha Pakoda, Poha Pakora recipe with step by step photos
To make Poha Pakoda, first clean and wash the rice flakes in a sieve in enough water. We have used the thick variety of poha for this recipe.
Transfer the poha into a deep bowl. Ensure you do not soak the poha in water, just rinse them or else they will absorb a lot of moisture which will make it difficult to make the Poha Pakoda.
- Add boiled and mashed potatoes. Ensure the mashed aloo is lump-free. They help in binding together all the ingredients.
Then add finely chopped coriander. They not only add a colour to the Poha Pakoda but also, enhance the taste.
- For spice add finely chopped green chillies. You can increase or decrease the quantity as per your requirement.
- We are also adding chilli powder. You can skip this completely and increase the amount of green chillies.
Now add sugar and lemon juice. They provide a very nice chatpata flavour to the Poha Pakoda mixture.
Finally add cumin seeds to the Poha Pakoda mixture and salt to taste.
- Mix very well using your hands and your poha aloo pakoda mixture is ready.
Divide the Poha Pakoda mixture into 15 equal portions. Roll each portion into a ball.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry a few pakodas at a time till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Depending upon the size of your pan, you can deep fry the pakoda in batches or all of them together.
Turn Poha Pakodas occasionally. We want them to be crunchy and golden brown in colour.
Drain Poha Aloo Pakoda on an absorbent paper.
Serve immediately with green chutney and tomato ketchup. They are a perfect snack to accompany a cup of tea/coffee when it is raining outside. I love eating Poha Pakoda with khajur imli ki chutney, you can also try eating with it.
- Similarly, you can make Palak Pakoda, Shingdana Bhajiya and Suran Pakoda.
- Pakoda can also be added to kadhi to make sumptuous preparations like Palak pakoda kadhi.
- Using kanda and batata bhajji, you can prepare popular Mumbai roadside snacks like Bhajji Pav and Kaanda Bhajji Pav.
What are Pakodas? Pakora or Pakodas are fondly called Bajjias (Bhajias) and are generally deep friend Indian snacks made using besan. Besan is mixed with Indian spices and herbs to get different flavors and taste. Sometimes, even rice flour or hot oil is added to the batter to increase the crispiness of pakoda.
Come monsoon and our hearts start yearning for something spicy and crunchy to munch on, that’s when pakodas come into the picture. The ever popular combination of piping hot pakoda and cutting chai is a famous street food of Mumbai. Given below is the Poha Aloo Pakoda image.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per pakoda
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.