Palak Toovar Dal (know Your Green Leafy Vegetables)
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 26 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 24336 times
A spicy spinach and lentil preparation that can be relished with steamed rice or rotis. Do not overcook this dal as the spinach tends to discolour quickly.
- Clean, wash and soak the dal for 2 hours.
- Drain, add the spinach, ginger, green chillies, turmeric powder and 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Mash the dal spinach mixture with the back of a spoon lightly and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the bayleaves, cloves, red chillies and asafoetida. Stir for 15 seconds.
- Add the spinach mixture, chilli powder and coriander, mix well and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, stirring once in between.
- Serve hot.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.