Nutritious Patties in Whole Wheat Pita Pockets
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 1515 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 26813 times
Open up an exciting new experience of healthy and tasty dining for your kids, with this sumptuous snack of whole wheat pita pockets packed with nutritious patties and laced with tangy curd dressing. The innovative patties used in this delightful dish is made of a nutrient-dense combo of paneer, broken wheat and carrots perked up with peppy sauces! The ample use of wheat makes the Nutritious Patties in Whole Wheat Pita Pockets rich in fibre, while the vitamin A rich carrots, and calcium and protein rich paneer help in the growth and development of bones. Your kids will surely love this nourishing and tasty snack.
- Combine the dry yeast, sugar, 3 tbsp of lukewarm water and the plain flour in a small bowl. Cover with a lid and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Combine the wheat flour, salt and the yeast mixture in a bowl and knead into a soft dough until the dough is smooth and elastic, using enough water.
- Add the oil and knead again.
- Cover the dough with a wet muslin cloth and allow it to prove (approx. 15 to 20 minutes).
- Press the dough lightly to remove the air.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion into a circle of 150 mm. (6") oblong shape using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook it on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Cook it on an open flame till it puffs up and brown spots appear on both the sides
- Cut the pita bread into 2 halves.
- Repeat step 7 to 10 to make more pita breads. Keep aside
- Clean and wash the broken wheat thoroughly. Heat 1 cup of water in a deep pan, add the broken wheat and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Strain the excess water using a strainer.
- Combine all the ingredients including the broken wheat in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and shape into a round flat patty.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it lightly using ½ tsp of oil.
- Cook the patties on a medium flame, a few at a time using a little oil, till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Keep aside.
- Just before serving, warm the pita bread halves on a non-stick tava (griddle).
- Fill each pita bread halve with 2 to 3 tomato slices and some lettuce, one patty and a tbsp of the dressing on top.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values Nutritive values per
|Energy|| 94 calories|
|Protein|| 2.8 gm|
|Carbohydrate|| 12.0 gm|
|Fat|| 3.8 gm|
|Vitamin A|| 179.8 mcg|
|Calcium|| 54.3 mcg|
|Fibre|| 0.6 gm|
|Iron|| 0.9 mg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.