Moong Dal Vadi Rasa, Maharashtrian Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 12 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 13553 times
A classic recipe from the kitchens of Maharashtra, the Moong Dal Vadi Rasa is a tongue-tickling preparation of moong dal vadis cooked in a gravy of tomatoes, blended with onions and spice powders.
The rich flavour of the tomato-based gravy seeps into the vadis giving them a really nice flavour. Garnishing with coriander gives the Moong Dal Vadi Rasa an instant aroma boost, so make sure you don’t skip it.
It is very important to serve this Maharashtrian delicacy immediately after preparation.
You can also try other specialties from the region, like the Maharashtrian Pitla and Maharashtrian Amboli .
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the moong dal vadi and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate and allow it to cool completely. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 3 tsp oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the garlic paste and onions and sauté on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Cool completely and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the paste into a deep non-stick pan, add the sautéed moong dal vadis and 2 cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 15 minutes, or till the vadis turn soft, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.