by Tarla Dalal
Added to 47 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 49410 times
Mexican bhel | Indo Mexican street food | homemade veg Mexican bhel | with 20 amazing images
Mexican bhel is quite easy to make and can be made from scratch at home. The idea is to bring together classic Mexican components like chunky salsa, crisp tortilla chips, sweet corn, capsicum and boiled rajma along with a handful of sev, to make a crunchy, tangy, pulpy Indo Mexican street food.
Bhel, the ever-popular Mumbai roadside snack is so popular all over the world that it has managed to fire people's imagination and spin out innumerable variants.
You can adjust the spice levels according to your taste. The Mexican bhel is an innovative snack that you can serve at parties to boggle your guests' imagination! Most Indian’s love Mexican cuisine as its fairly similar to ours and hence we have this yummy Indo Mexican bhel.
We show you how to make the salsa and tortillas from scratch in this homemade veg Mexican bhel recipe.
Some points to note to make the perfect Mexican bhel. 1. You can check the crispiness of the tortilla chips by breaking one in half. If you hear a snap while breaking, it's crispy. If you do not want to use them now, you can cool them and store in an air-tight container. 2. Just before serving, add the tortilla chips and toss gently using 2 spoons. Remember to add the chips right before serving or else they will lose their crispiness.
While on a Mexican spree, try other recipes like Mexican Rice or Mexican Rajma, Bean Sprouts and Lettuce Tossed in Guacamole Dressing.
Enjoy Mexican bhel | Indo Mexican street food | homemade veg Mexican bhel | with detailed step by step photos.
- Combine the flours and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 175 mm. (7”) thin circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) on a high flame and when hot, place the tortilla gently over it. Cook it lightly on the tava for a few seconds.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make 4 more tortillas.
- Cut into small equal diamond shaped pieces using a sharp knife or a cutter.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry, a few tortilla chips at a time, on a medium flame till they are golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper. Cool and store in an air-tight container till use.
- Combine the salsa, sweet corn kernels, colored capsicum, rajma ,cheese and little salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Just before serving the mexican bhel, add the tortilla chips and toss gently.
- Serve the mexican bhel immediately garnished with coriander and sev.
Mexican Bhel Video by Tarla Dalal
Mexican Bhel recipe with step by step photos
To make salsa for Mexican bhel | Indo Mexican street food | homemade veg Mexican bhel | first put the finely chopped tomatoes in a deep bowl.
- To this, add the finely chopped onions. Even though this salsa is uncooked, the onions do not overpower the taste of everything else.
- Now add the green chillies and coriander. No salsa is complete without green chillies. For a more aunthentic taste, use fresh jalapenos.
- Add the finely chopped garlic for the extra punch of flavor.
- Now add the dried basil. You can even use fresh basil instead of the dried variety. In that case use double the amount of fresh basil. You can even add a little cumin seeds powder.
- Add the tomato ketchup, lemon juice and salt to this now. This adds a little sweet-sour taste to the salsa.
- Mix all the ingredients together very well, while slowly mashing with the back of your spoon. This salsa is best served after keep it aside for 30 minutes so the flavors combine very well. Keep aside.
To make tortilla chips for Mexican bhel | Indo Mexican street food | homemade veg Mexican bhel | combine the wheat flour, plain flour and salt in a deep bowl. Usually tortillas are made with maize flour, but since this is an Indian fusion recipe, we have used whole wheat flour and maida.
- Mix the flours together and starting kneading it using a little water.
- It has to be kneaded into a soft dough so that it rolls out easily.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal portions.
- Sprinkle a little whole wheat flour on the rolling board. Take one portion of dough, roll it in between your palms and flatten it on the rolling board.
- Using more flour for rolling, roll out the dough into a very thin 175 mm. (7") diameter circle.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) on a high flame and when hot, place the tortilla gently over it.
- Cook it lightly on the tava for a few seconds. Flip it over and cook on the other side for a few seconds as well till half cooked.
- Place the half-cooked tortilla on a clean, dry surface. Cut into small equal diamond shaped pieces using a sharp knife or a cutter. You can do this with leftover chapatis as well.
- Repeat steps 5 to 9 with the remaining portions of the dough.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in dep non-stick pan or kadhai. Once the oil is heated thoroughly, add a handful of cut tortillas to the oil.
- Deep-fry a few tortilla chips at a time on a medium flame till they are golden brown in colour from both the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper. You can check the crispiness of the chips by breaking one in half. If you hear a snap while breaking, it's crispy. If you do not want to use them now, you can cool them and store in an air-tight container.
Now we will assemble our Mexican bhel | Indo Mexican street food | homemade veg Mexican bhel | . Put the salsa we prepared earlier in a large bowl. The bowl has to be fairly large as there are a lot of ingredients which need to be tossed together.
- Add the sweet corn kernels to the salsa. Also add the finely chopped colored capsicum. This adds a pop of color to the bhel.
- Finally add the soaked and boiled rajma, grated cheese and little salt to the bowl. Rajma is usually added to Mexican food in the form of refried beans but here we are adding whole boiled rajma.
- Mix this well with a spoon. The reason for mixing this beforehand is so the flavors combine well.
- Just before serving, add the tortilla chips and toss gently using 2 spoons. Remember to add the chips right before serving or else they will lose their crispiness.
- After adding the chips garnish with sev and coriander.
Serve homemade veg Mexican bhel immediately at a party or as dinner!
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.