Tortillas For Wraps and Rolls
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 26 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 32146 times
If you wanna dabble with Mexican cooking, this is one of the first recipes to learn. Authentic, maize-flour based tortillas are key to the success of Mexican wraps and rolls. Maize flour gives the tortillas a classic texture, while carom seeds and spice powders give it a fascinating flavour.
These tortillas can hold all your favourite toppings, be it refried beans, cheese or corn, to make the world’s most delicious wraps! Make sure you dust the dough with enough flour, or else it will be difficult to roll.
Try these recipes with a delectable filling wrapped in maize flour tortillas Mexican Kebab Roll and Mexican Tortilla Wrap .
- Combine the maize flour, chilli powder, carom seeds, 1 tsp of oil and salt in a bowl and knead into a soft dough adding hot water as required. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Knead again using remaining 1 tsp of oil till smooth and elastic
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and roll out each portion of the dough between two sheets of plastic into a thin circle of 250 mm. (10") diameter. Dust the tortilla generously with flour to make the rolling easier.
- Heat a wok / wide iron kadhai upside down on a high flame and when hot place the tortilla gently over the wok / kadhai ensuring that no creases form on the surface.
- Cook it till small blisters appear on the surface. Turn over the tortilla and cook for few more seconds till done.
- Repeat with the remaining dough portions to make 3 more tortillas.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.