Malvani Chana Masala, Maharashtrian Chana Gravy
by Tarla Dalal
माल्वानी चना मसाला
- हिन्दी में पढ़ें (Malvani Chana Masala, Maharashtrian Chana Gravy in Hindi)
માલવણી ચણા મસાલા
- ગુજરાતી માં વાંચો (Malvani Chana Masala, Maharashtrian Chana Gravy in Gujarati)
Added to 62 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 63385 times
There are several interesting things about this recipe. First of all, there is the malvani masala, which is so aromatic and flavourful because all the ingredients are toasted before grinding.
Then, there is the hara chana, which is cooked and crushed to a very convenient consistency before being used in the gravy.
Then, there is the use of tamarind instead of tomatoes, which adds to the flavour and pungency without toning down the effect of the spices.
In all, the malvani chana masala is a dish that has to be experienced to understand its full worth!
Try other chana recipes like Chana Ghassi and Kabuli Chana Stir- Fry .
- Combine all the ingredients on non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 3 minutes or till the masalas release an aroma. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using ½ cup of water. Keep aside.
- Blend 1 cup of hara chana in a mixer to a coarse mixture and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the malvani masala paste and sauté on a medium flame for another 2 minutes.
- Add the coarsely crushed hara chana, remaining 1 cup of whole boiled hara chana, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the tamarind pulp, fresh cream, coriander and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Malvani Chana Masala by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.