Makki ki Roti, Punjabi Makki Di Roti Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 29 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 89723 times
makki ki roti recipe | Punjabi makki di roti | makki ki roti on tawa | healthy makki ki roti | 14 amazing images.
makki ki roti are popular cornmeal flatbreads (rotis ) from the land of Punjab. Makki ki roti is also called as makki di roti as corn is grown to a large extent all over Northern India and thrives particularly well in Punjab. Using corn flour or makai ka atta to make Punjabi makki di roti is a very different from the classic Indian whole wheat roti.
Usually Makai ki roti is traditionally prepared in tandoor so that it gets the smoky flavor, but you can easily prepare it on tawa. makki ki roti on tawa is easy and quick to make and is also pretty healthy. All you need to do to prepare makki ki roti is knead stiff dough by combing maize flour, salt and warm water. Keep aside for sometime and divide. Further, roll into small circles cook on tava from both the sides and puff up on the flame.
Cornmeal flatbread is bit heavy on tummy so you can add ajwain if you wish to. Warm water is added to the dough and thus the rotis are pliable and easy to roll. Novice cooks can add whole wheat flour to make the rolling procedure easier.
See why we think this is a healthy makki ki roti. Maize flour is a carbohydrate rich and energy rich flour loaded with fibre. Cornmeal prevents your blood sugar from shooting up and loaded with Zinc which is necessary for the formation of insulin.
Serve hot Makai ki Roti topped with a dollop of homemade ghee or homemade white butter. Eat Punjabi makki di roti with Sarson ka Saag, and jaggery to have one of Punjab's traditional and classic combinations. Don't forget the essential Punjabi Aam ka Achaar.
Enjoy makki ki roti recipe | Punjabi makki di roti | makki ki roti on tawa | healthy makki ki roti | with detailed step by step recipe photos and video below.
- To make makki ki roti, combine the maize flour and salt and knead into firm dough using enough warm water.
- Cover and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and roll out each portion into a 125 mm. (5") diameter circle with the help of a little maize flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) on a high flame and when hot, place the roti gently over it.
- Cook it till small blisters appear on the surface. Turn over the roti and cook for few more seconds.
- Cook it on an open flame till it puffs up and brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough portions to make 9 more makki ki rotis.
- Smear butter on top of the makki ki roti and serve hot.
Makki ki Roti, Punjabi Makki Di Roti Recipe recipe with step by step photos
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per roti
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.