Khus-khus ki Puri
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 19 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 18112 times
Khus-khus or poppy seeds are used in nearly all cuisines in India. Here is a delicious puri stuffed with a poppy seed mixture and made spicy with the use of Kashmiri red chillies. Other spices such as cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and nigella seeds are also used to add flavoring.
- Sieve the flour well.
- Combine the flour, ghee, nigella seeds and salt in a deep bowl, mix well and knead it into a stiff dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions and keep aside.
- Soak the poppy seeds in 2 tbsp of water for 15 minutes and keep aside.
- Combine the cumin seeds, red chillies, cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon in a broad non-stick pan and dry roast on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Allow it to cool and blend in a mixer to a fine powder. Keep aside.
- Blend the soaked poppy seeds in a mixer till it forms a thick paste. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in broad non-stick pan, add the asafoetida, nigella seeds and ginger and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add the poppy seeds paste and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
- Remove from the flame, add the powdered masala and salt, mix well and keep aside.
- Roll out each portion of the dough into a circle of 72 mm. (2½?) diameter circle using little flour for rolling.
- Place 1 tsp of the stuffing in the centre of each circle. Bring together all the sides in the centre and seal tightly.
- Roll out again into a circle of 75 mm. (3") diameter circle, using a little plain flour for rolling.
- Heat the oil in a deep kadhai and deep-fry the puris, a few at a time, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and serve immediately.
Nutrient values per puri
|Vitamin A||75 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin C||0 mg|
|Folic Acid||0 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.