Batata Tomato Rassa Bhaji
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 27 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 62634 times
Name the spice, choose your flavour, and you will find it in this bhaji. A traditional Maharashtrian favourite, the Batata Tomato Rassa Bhaji revolves around an intense paste of assorted spices, onions and coconut, which makes it super-tasty! Although the ingredient list is long, this dish is not as complex as it seems because the paste can be prepared in advance and frozen. Once you have that ready, you can prepare this delectable accompaniment on even the busiest of days because it requires just potatoes and tomatoes, which are always available in the larder! Plus, this ever-popular combination of veggies is bound to be enjoyed by the whole family, so this would be a one-dish-pleases-all option!
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes, till golden brown in colour.
- Add the coconut and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute. Keep aside.
- Heat ½ tsp of oil in a small non-stick pan, add the clove, cardamom, cinnamon, peppercorns, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, bayleaf, fenugreek seeds and dry red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute. Cool completely.
- Once cooled, combine all the ingredients in a mixer and blend till smooth using ½ cup of water. Keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida, turmeric powder, potatoes and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of water and cover and cook on a medium flame for 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared paste, 1½ cups of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, sugar and salt, mix well and cover and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||109.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.5 mg|
|Vitamin C||10 mg|
|Folic Acid||10.3 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.