by Tarla Dalal
Added to 644 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 65608 times
Kannada cuisine is generally marked by the moderate use of coconut and jaggery in almost all accompaniments. Here in the mysore chutney, these ingredients come together with a combination of dals, tamarind and spices. This chutney can be spread on the inner side of dosa and topped with potato bhaji, to make mysore masala dosa.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the chana dal and urad dal and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till they turn light brown in colour, while stirring continuously.
- Add the red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the jiggery, garlic and tamarind pulp and peppercorns, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Allow it to cool a little and then blend in a blender using a little water to a smooth paste.
- Serve this immediately or store in an air-tight container in a deep-freezer.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.