Gujarati Dal ( Gujarati Recipe)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 1178 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 265949 times
With a characteristic sweet and sour taste, this traditional dal recipe is quite reflective of gujarati culture and uses the typical ingredients and spices. While this is an everyday dal, it takes on a festive hue when ingredients like peanuts and yam are added. For such grand occasions, the dal is boiled over and over again to get the best flavour. Remember that the ideal balance of sweet and sour levels required for the success of this recipe is an art that can be perfected with practice.
- Wash the dal, add 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Cool slightly and blend in a mixer to a smooth mixture. Keep aside.
- Combine the yam, peanuts and dates, add enough water and pressure cook for 2 to 3 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee and oil in a deep pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, cloves, cinnamon, bayleaf, chillies and asafoetida, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add 1½ cups of water, kokum, tomatoes, jaggery, lemon juice, ginger, green chillies, chilli powder and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the dal, yam, peanuts, dates and salt, mix well and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||195.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||2.6 mg|
|Vitamin C||3.2 mg|
|Folic Acid||46.4 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.