Pyajo, Chana Dal Vada Topped with Coconut Curry
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 47 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 53471 times
Pyajo is a delicious snack, with a wonderful blend of flavours and textures. Crispy chana dal vadas are topped with a mildly-flavoured coconut curry and peppy chutneys, and finally garnished in an innovative way with crushed potato wafers and coriander.
The coconut milk is thickened with besan and flavoured with a few whole spices, to make a creamy curry with a mild but appreciable flavour. The overall effect is so exciting that you will feel like licking your fingers after the plate is wiped off! Serve the Chana Dal Vada topped with Coconut Curry immediately on preparation while the vadas are crisp and the curry is warm.
- Combine the chana dal and green chillies in a mixer and blend to a coarse mixture without using any water.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the onions, chilli powder, coriander and salt and mix well using your hands.
- Divide the mixture into 16 equal portions and shape each portion into 50 mm. (2”) diameter round flat vada.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, and deep-fry a few vadas at a time and fry till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Combine the coconut milk, besan and 1 cup of water in a deep bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in deep non-stick pan, add the cinnamon and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the coconut-besan mixture, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the potatoes, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes. , while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
- Place all the vadas on a serving dish.
- Pour the prepared potato and coconut curry evenly over it.
- Pour garlic chutney and sweet chutney evenly over it.
- Serve immediately garnished with potato wafers and coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
Missed out on our mailers?
Our mailers are now online!
View Mailer Archive
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.