Masala Stuffed Parota, Bengali Low Salt Paratha
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 2 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 10207 times
Parota is a special type of Indian bread, which never fails to entice the diner with its special slightly-chewy mouth-feel and unique appearance that has a spiral or ringed surface.
While the traditional version is made of maida, here we have made it healthier by using whole wheat flour instead. This goes to show how a small tweak in the choice of ingredients can make a dish healthier.
The dough is lined with a tongue-tickling masala paste before rolling, to boost the flavour of the parota. This Masala Stuffed Parota is made with less oil and salt, to make it suitable for those with high BP.
Since we have used very little oil in the masala paste, it tends to dry up if left for a long time. So, make the paste just before making the parathas.
Here, we have described the Bengali way of rolling the parota, but if you wish you can also roll it like a regular stuffed paratha.
Try other low-salt recipes like the Green Peas Soup and Creamy Green Salad .
- Combine the whole wheat flour and enough water in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling. Put a little of the prepared masala paste evenly over it.
- Roll it up tightly and roll it over from one end to the other end to form a swiss roll and press it lightly.
- Roll again into a 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the parota, using ¼ tsp of oil, till golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 to make 5 more parotas.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per parota
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.