Dahi Bhindi, Low Salt Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 86 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 71192 times
Dahi Bhindi is a mouth-watering recipe, which can be part of your daily fare. It takes a while to cook but since bhindi is low in sodium content, it is definitely worth making this for those with high blood pressure.
The combination of vegetables and spices is perfect, to lift the taste of subzi to an extent that one does not notice the reduced use of salt.
Use only the measured amount of salt and do not go overboard. A combination of sautéed bhindi, tomatoes, onions and curds with spices, this Dahi Bhindi tastes wonderful with phulkas or chapatis.
A low-salt, low-sodium menu can also include other dishes like the Mili Jhuli Subzi and the Mooli Moong Dal .
- Combine the curds and ½ cup of water in a deep bowl, mix well using a whisk and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the ladies finger and sauté on a medium flame for 9 minutes.
- Transfer the bhindi into a plate and keep as
- Heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil in the same non-stick kadhai and add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, urad dal, and red chillies.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, turmeric powder, mix well and cook on medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the sautéed bhindi and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the curd-water mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minute, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.