Added to 3 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 30795 times
An amazingly flavorsome biryani rice recipe, kathal biryani with kathal (unripe jackfruit) and spices is a great way to show your culinary skills to your family and guests. Topped with chopped nuts and coriander leaves, kathal biryani takes you on a gastronomical trip.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep fry the jackfruit pieces till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides.
- Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a handi, add the cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaves and saute on a medium flame until the cardamom begins to change colour.
- Add the garlic and ginger paste, mix well and saute for more 2 minutes.
- Remove the handi from the flame, add the curds and mix well.
- Saute again until the liquid evaporates.
- Add the prepared stock, red chilies and salt,mix well and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to flame and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the flame and strain the mixture.
- Add the jackfruit, mix well and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, cream, mace, cardamom, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Boil 6 ½ cups of water in a deep pan, add the cardamom, cloves, salt and rice and bring to a boil.
- Add the rose water and lemon juice, and continue to boil, stirring occasionally, till the rice is 80% cooked.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Remove half the kathal and stock and return the handi to medium heat.
- Sprinkle in half the ginger juliennes, green chillies, mint and spread half the partially-cooked rice on top.
- Arrange the remaining kathal on the rice, sprinkle the remaining ginger, green chilies, mint and coriander, and pour half the reserved stock over it.
- Spread two-thirds of the remaining rice, and sprinkle with the reserved stock and saffron.
- Spread the remaining rice, sprinkle the fried onions over it, cover with a lid and seal with atta (whole-wheat) dough.
- Cook unit the steam begins to seep out of the dough, then remove and keep aside.
- Put the sealed handi on dum in the pre-heated oven for 8-10 minutes, then break the seal and serve the biryani with a raita.
This recipe was contributed by purvi_parekh on 27 Sep 2011
Know more about this member, Click Here
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.