How many calories does one Pudina Puri have?
One Pudina Puri gives 70 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 24 calories, proteins account for 4 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 42 calories. One Phudina Puri provides about 4 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view. Pudina Puri recipe. pudina puri recipe | pudina puri | mint leaves puri | pudina poori | with amazing.
pudina puri is a quick and easy puri variation which tastes heavenly. This irresistible Pudina Puri dough is made of pudina (mint leaves), plain flour and Indian spices which is then deep fried.
pudina puri has ingredients that are basic and can be found in our homes easily. We have combined pudina, cumin seeds, green chillies, lemon juice, sugar and salt along with water in a blender and blend into a course paste. You can also roughly or finely chop and add the mint leaves if you wish. Further we, have combined plain flour, prepared mint paste, oil which make the puri soft and knead it into a stiff dough. Next, we have divided the dough and rolled it into small circles and deep fried them until they puff up and are golden brown from all the sides. The oil should neither be too hot or too cold.
To check if the oil is at the right temperature or not, drop a small portion of dough in the oil. If it comes up quickly, the oil is too hot and this would brown the puri quickly. If it takes a lot of time, the oil is not hot enough and this would make the masala pudina puri absorb a lot of oil. Gently press the puri with the slotted spoon to get a fluffy pudina puri.
mint leaves puri adds up to my comfort food meal when had along with pindi chole, the combination is mind-blowing. I usually make this on Sunday for brunch. Also, you can pack and carry along in your tiffin.
pudina puri recipe dough is pepped up with myriad ingredients like mint leaves, cumin seeds and lemon juice, gives rise to tasty and aromatic puris that are so flavourful that they can be served with just a bowl of raita, or an elaborate Subzis / Curries too, depending on the occasion.
Is Pudina Puri healthy?
No, pudina puri is not healthy. Its made of plain flour, pudina and its deep fried.
1. Mint Leaves (Pudina) : Mint (pudina) being an anti-inflammatory reduces the inflammation in the stomach and shows a cleansing effect. Sipping on a healthy drink like fresh mint and lemon tea is the best option to overcome nausea for mums-to-be. Moreover it's vitamin A (10% of RDA) and vitamin C (20.25%) serve as an additional boost to bring relief from cough, sore throat and also cold. Mint (pudina) is a leafy vegetable which is sure to create nourishing dishes without piling on calories, carbs or fat for that instance. What is has to offer instead is FIBER. See here for detailed benefits of mint leaves.
2. Green Chillies : Antioxidant vitamin C in green chillies protects the body from effects of harmful free radicals and prevents stress. It is probably the high fiber which helps in controlling blood sugar levels. This it is a welcome addition to a diabetic diet. Suffering from anaemia? Add green chillies to your list of iron rich foods too. For complete details see benefits of green chilli.
3. Lemon, Lemon Juice : Lemon is a very good source of Vitamin C and thus helps in the production of white blood cells and antibodies in the blood which attacks invading microorganisms, prevents infection and builds immunity. Therefore, Lemon juice is given to prevent common cold. The ascorbic acid in lemon juice helps in absorption of iron from the food. So if you’re iron deficient or have anaemia squeeze a lemon on iron rich recipes. See detailed benefits of lemon, lemon juice.
Whats the problem?
1. Plain flour : This recipe uses 1cup of plain flour or maida which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or just a little bit of usage as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients. Read is maida good for you to understand fully.
2. Deep fried foods : This recipe has deep fried foods. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. You're fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. It also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process.
3. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Phudina Puri?
No, this recipe is not good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. This recipe has deep fried foods. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. You're fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption.
Here are some Healthy Indian snack options.
You can have oats upma, baked sev , baked whole wheat puris, paneer pudina tikki or buckwheat pancake as one healthy recipe option.
Baked Whole Wheat Puris, Jar Snack
Can healthy individuals have Phudina Puri?
No. This recipe uses 1cup of plain flour or maida which is refined carb not suitable for healthy lifestyle. Maida consumption in any food should be totally avoided or just a little bit of usage as any consumption of this will cause a larger spike in blood levels which is not good for diabetics, heart patients.
Solution for Pudina Puri
Avoid eating it if you want to live a healthy life style. Having only 70 calories, one would be tempted to have 4 puris. Sorry, its best to avoid this. Even if you seek to gain weight, then eat good fat foods like avocado, almonds, healthy fruits and vegetables. Deep fried foods is bad fats.
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym. No activity reduces muscle tissue which will lead to muscke loss and all kinds of problems with that.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover and makes you look much younger. Also getting good sleep prevent muscle loss.
How to burn 70 calories that come from Phudina Puri?
Walking (6 kmph) = 21 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 7 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 9 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 12 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.