How many calories does one serving of Palak Toovar Dal have?
One serving of Palak Toovar Dal gives 119 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 69 calories, proteins account for 28 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 23 calories. One serving of Palak Toovar Dal provides about 6 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Palak Toovar Dal recipe. Spinach and toovar dal used for this mildly spiced recipe, makes this dal a rich calcium source. Serve hot with roti or rice.
Is Palak Toovar Dal healthy?
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Spinach (Palak) : Spinach is one of the richest plant sources of Iron and it should be part of a healthy diet for everyone. Raw spinach is very rich in insoluble fibre, 25% having soluble fiber and 75% insoluble fiber. Spinach is good for the heart, diabetics and eyes. Read this on the 17 benefits of spinach and why you should eat it.
2. Toor Dal (tuvar dal, arhar dal, toovar dal) : Toor dal is rich in proteins, the building block of good health. High in fiber, diabetic and heart friendly. Being an excellent source of folic acid, pregnant women must include toor dal in their daily diet. Being an excellent source of fibre it helps in preventing and relieving gastric problems like constipation. See detailed benefits of toor dal.
3. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
What's the problem?
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Palak Toovar Dal?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss. Raw spinach is very rich in insoluble fibre, 25% having soluble fiber and 75% insoluble fiber. Spinach is good for the heart, diabetics and eyes. Toor dal is rich in proteins, the building block of good health. High in fiber, diabetic and heart friendly.
DAL + ROTI (cereal) enhances protein value
Combine dal with bajra roti, jowar roti, radish nachni roti recipe , basic ragi roti recipe, and whole wheat roti, whole wheat bhakri recipe to make a healthy combination. Note that when you combine any dal with any cereal like bajra, jowar, ragi, buckwheat, barley or whole wheat to enhance the protein value.
Can healthy individuals have Palak Toovar Dal?
Palak Toovar Dal is high in
1. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
2. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
3. Vitamin A : Vitamin A is crucial for healthy vision, cell growth and healthy skin.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 119 calories that come from Palak Toovar Dal?
Walking (6 kmph) = 36 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 12 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 16 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 20 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.