How many calories does 1 serving of Gujarati Kadhi have?
One serving of Gujarati Kadhi gives 241 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 97 calories, proteins account for 33 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 91 calories. One serving of Gujarati Kadhi provides about 12 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Gujarati Kadhi recipe. Kadhi is a traditional Gujarati preparation of a wonderful sweet and spicy curd mixture thickened with gram flour, which can be enhanced in many ways using other ingredients like pakoras and koftas. Remember never to boil the kadhi on a high flame as it tends to curdle. Enjoy the Gujarati kadhi with hot bowl of khichdi. Our collection of Gujarati Dal Kadhi has many varieties of kadhi recipes like the Bhatia Kadhi, Gujarati Suva Kadhi and Radish Koftas in Kadhi which can be relished with Gujarati Khichdis.
Is Gujarati Kadhi healthy
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
2. Besan : Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow. See 10 detailed benefits of besan and why it's good for you.
3. Ghee : Other than calories and fats, the only nutrients that ghee is rich in are the vitamins – all of which are fat-soluble. All the 3 vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin E and Vitamin K) are antioxidants which have a role in removing free radicals from the body and protecting our cell as well as help in maintaining skin health and glow. Ghee is an excellent, high-quality selection medium of cooking because of its high smoke point. As compared to most oils and butter, ghee can handle a smoke point of 230°C, 450°F, thus its less prone to oxidant and destruction of nutrients. Yes, ghee does contain cholesterol, but some amount of cholesterol is needed by the body. Cholesterol has some functions to play too. It is necessary for hormone production, brain function, cell health and lubricating the joints. It is, in reality, a high quality fat for the body and brain. Ghee is loaded with fats but that’s medium chain fatty acids (MCT) which aid in weight loss. Ghee is healthy for daibetics in small amounts and you need to check your fat intake at the same time. Learn to easily make your ghee at home which is free of preservatives. See benefits of ghee.
4. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
What's the problem?
Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage. To live a healthy life, try and cut sugar which from your diet. It requires a slow and deliberate attempt to do it. Find hidden sugar in packaged foods and drinks and stop having those products. Did you know that a can of your favourite soft drink is estimated to have 1/2 cup of sugar. Refinded carbohydrates like maida, sugar, bread, pasta, noodles and sugar on consumption get stored as unhealthy fat in the body.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Gujarati Kadhi?
Yes, this recipe is good for diabetics, heart and weight loss BUT drop the sugar from the recipe. You will find it a little sour as a result. Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity.
Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content.
Can healthy individuals have Gujarati Kadhi?
Yes, cut the sugar by a bit.
Gujarati Kadhi is high in
1. Calcium : Calcium is a mineral that makes bones stay strong. Required from kids to adults.
2. Phosphorous : Phosphorous works closely with calcium to build bones.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 241 calories that come from Gujarati Kadhi?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1hr 12 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 24 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 32 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 41 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.