How many calories does one serving of Baked Palak Methi Puris have?
One serving of Baked Palak Methi Puris gives 36 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 23 calories, proteins account for 8 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 6 calories. One serving of Baked Palak Methi Puris provides about 2 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See Baked Palak Methi Puris recipe. Low fat puris? Absolutely! This non-traditional way of making puris is not only delicious, but it makes them rich in vitamin A and iron.
Is Baked Palak Methi Puris healthy?
No, this is not healthy. Let's see why.
Yes, this is healthy. But restrictions apply to some.
Let's understand the Ingredients.
1. Spinach (Palak) : Spinach is one of the richest plant sources of Iron and it should be part of a healthy diet for everyone. Raw spinach is very rich in insoluble fibre, 25% having soluble fiber and 75% insoluble fiber. Spinach is good for the heart, diabetics and eyes. Read this on the 17 benefits of spinach and why you should eat it.
2. Methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) : Methi leaves are low in calorie, powerful antioxidant and cures mouth ulcers. Fenugreek leaves help in improving glucose and insulin responses, hence good for diabetics. The levels of cholesterol also reduced with intakes of fenugreek leaves. Rich in Vitamin K which is good for bone metabolism. See all benefits of methi leaves here.
3. Jowar Flour : Jowar is a complex carb and will be absorbed slowly in the blood stream and not cause a spike in insulin. Jowar and all Millets are rich in Potassium. Potassium is critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Hence a good safe food for diabetics but to be had in restricted quantity and safe for those who want to live and eat healthy. Being high in Fibre, Jowar reduces bad cholesterol (LDL) and increases the effects of good cholesterol (HDL). See 17 benefits of jowar and why you should have it.
4. Bajra flour : Bajra flour is high in protein and is a complete protein for vegetarians when combined with dal. So as a Vegetarian, include bajra in your diet. Bajra is a great option for those on a gluten free diet. Bajra is rich in Magnesium which improves insulin response by lowering insulin resistance which is good for Diabetics and healthy heart but to be had in restricted quantity and had with low fat curds or raita to minimise the carb impact. See here for the 18 benefits of bajra flour and why you should have it.
5. Whole Wheat flour : Whole wheat flour is excellent for diabetics as they will not shoot up your blood sugar levels as they are a low GI food. Whole wheat flour is rich in Phosphorus which is a major mineral which works closely with calcium to build our bones. Vitamin B9 helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially increase red blood cells. See detailed 11 benefits of whole wheat flour and why it's good for you.
6. Curd + Low fat Curds : Curds help in digestion as it has very good bacteria. Probiotics in curds acts as a mild laxative but, in case of diarrhoea and dysentery, it is a boon, if curd is used with rice.They help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity. The only difference between curds and low fat curds is the fat level. Read the benefits of curds to include in your daily diet.
What's the problem?
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Baked Palak Methi Puris?
Can healthy individuals have Baked Palak Methi Puris?
How to burn 36 calories that come from Baked Palak Methi Puris?
Walking (6 kmph) = 11 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 4 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 5 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 6 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.
Methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) : Methi leaves are low in calorie, powerful antioxidant and cures mouth ulcers. Fenugreek leaves help in improving glucose and insulin responses, hence good for diabetics. The levels of cholesterol also reduced with intakes of fenugreek leaves. Rich in Vitamin K which is good for bone metabolism. See all benefits of methi leaves here.