How many calories does One serving of Amiri Khaman have?
One serving of Amiri Khaman gives 353 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 144 calories, proteins account for 35 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 174 calories. One serving of Amiri Khaman provides about 18 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
See recipe Amiri Khaman Recipe amiri khaman in microwave recipe | sev khamani in microwave | quick amiri khaman | Gujarati amiri khaman in microwave | with 26 amazing images.
This quick amiri khaman is amiri khaman made in a microwave.
amiri khaman is nothing but a spicy tea-time snack or farsan made of crumbled khaman dhoklas tempered with garlic and mixed with pomegranate seeds and coconut. If you have leftover khaman dhokla's it would be a bonus as it would make the process quicker and easier to make Gujarati amiri khaman in microwave. Some people also refer to it as a type of Gujarati bhel.
Khaman Dhokla is a soft and fluffy steamed snack from the Gujarati repertoire. This all-time favourite khaman dhokla is enjoyed as a starter, as a tea-time snack, or even for breakfast. It has an exquisite texture and appetizing flavour.
We have made the process of cooking fuss-free and quick by making amiri khaman in microwave. It is a popular savory Gujarati snack. You can even eat them for breakfast or as an evening snack with various chutneys like the green chutney, sweet chutney or the spicy garlic chutney. Also, you can serve it along a meal as a side dish.
This amiri khaman in microwave recipe is super quick and easy to make. You can quickly make this for an occasion or when you have guests walking in suddenly as it doesn’t take a while. The ingredients used in the recipe are easily available in the market and some of you might have all the ingredients available at home!
Tips on amiri khaman in microwave recipe. 1. Mix well to make a batter of pouring consistency. Adjust consistency of the batter using 1 to 2 tbsp of more water if required. Always use your hands while mixing the batter to break lumps of the besan, sugar and citric acid crystals. 2. When the bubbles form, mix gently and our amiri khaman batter is ready. If you stir vigorously, the bubbles will escape and the khaman will be dense and flat. 3. Pour half the batter into the greased microwave-safe container. Always fill up only 75% (height) of the dish. The dhoklas grow substantially in volume and become fluffy.
You can also pack amiri khaman in microwave recipe for your kid’s tiffin treat as it remains moist!
Serve sev khamani (in microwave) garnished with sev and relish the unique flavour of this quick recipe. Those who do not like garlic can omit it.
Here are some more Gujarati farsan recipes like Doodhi Muthia, Rice Panki, Dakor na Gota, Damni Dhokla, Ghughra and Khandvi that can be had as a snack or as a side dish to complement the main course.
Is Amiri Khaman healthy?
Yes, Amiri khaman dhokla is healthy but diabetics need to be careful. Khaman dhokla is made mainly of besan, rava, little sugar and Indian spices.
Let's understand the ingredients.
1. Besan : Besan has more good fat than whole wheat flour and also higher protein content. Rich in complex carbohydrates and with a low glycemic index, besan is good for diabetics too. Besan is high in Folate or folic acid, which is important for rapid growth and multiplication of red blood cells and white blood cells (WBC) in the bone marrow. See 10 detailed benefits of besan and why it's good for you.
2. Garlic : Garlic has been proven to lower cholesterol. The active ingredient allicin present in garlic aids in lowering blood pressure. Garlic is also alleged to help regulate blood glucose levels for diabetics. Garlic is great for the heart and circulatory system. Garlic has an antimicrobial, antiviral and antifungal function and can help in relieving common cold and other viral infections. To boost your immune system have a garlic clove a day. Garlic is a top anti viral food. The thiosulphate compound, Allicin found in garlic acts as a strong antioxidant and protects our body from damage of free radicals. Read here for complete benefits of garlic.
3. Lemon, Lemon Juice : Lemon is a very good source of Vitamin C and thus helps in the production of white blood cells and antibodies in the blood which attacks invading microorganisms, prevents infection and builds immunity. Therefore, Lemon juice is given to prevent common cold. The ascorbic acid in lemon juice helps in absorption of iron from the food. So if you’re iron deficient or have anaemia squeeze a lemon on iron rich recipes. See detailed benefits of lemon, lemon juice.
4. Coconut : The fresh coconut has saturated fats but most of it is MCT (Medium Chain Triglycerides) which promote weight loss. The high fibre content 13.6 gm (45.3% of RDA) along with high lauric acid content of coconut improves cholesterol levels in the body. Improving the action of insulin secretion and lowering the raised blood sugar levels is yet another benefit of coconut for Diabetics. See here for 10 amazing benefits of coconut.
5. Coriander (kothmir, dhania) : Coriander is a fresh herb often used as a flavour enhancer in Indian cooking. It is mainly used as a garnish. This is the best way to use it - no cooking. This preserves its vitamin C content which helps to build our immunity and bring that sparkle to the skin. The antioxidants vitamin A, vitamin C and the quercetin present in coriander works towards strengthening our immune system. Coriander is a fairly good source of iron and folate – the 2 nutrient which help in the production and maintenance of red blood cells in our blood. Good for reducing cholesterol and good for diabetics. Read 9 benefits of coriander to understand details.
What's the problem?
1. Rava (semolina, sooji) : What's good? Semolina is a fairly good source of Magnesium and phosphorus which is necessary to keep our nervous system healthy and working. But once again, it’s minus the fibre which is also one of the important nutrient to maintain healthy heart. So don’t opt for just the plain rava upma… instead toss in some sprouts or veggies and limit the amount of salt used and then add it occasionally to your meals. What's the issue? Fibre is one key nutrient for weight loss and semolina is devoid of it. Semolina is not suitable for diabetics. For details read is sooji healthy?
2. Sugar : Sugar used in the recipe is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and overweight individuals have Amiri Khaman?
Yes, Amiri khaman dhokla is healthy but cut the sugar used. Removing the sugar the recipe will yet taste good. BUT rava is also an issue.
Can healthy individuals have Amiri Khaman?
Yes they can as there is not much sugar used in the recipe and rava is very little. But don't over eat this dhokla or make it without sugar or cut the sugar used by half.
Amiri Khaman dhokla is good for
1. Healthy Lifestyle
2. Weight loss
3. Diabetics ( make without sugar)
4. Heart Patients
5. Pregnant women
One serving of Amiri Khaman is high in
1. Protein : Protein is required for the managing the wear and tear of all cells of the body.
2. Fiber : Dietary fiber reduce the risk of heart disease, prevent the spike in blood sugar levels and hence super for diabetics. Consume more fruits, vegetables, moong, oats, matki, whole grains.
3. Vitamin B1 : Vitamin B1 protects nerves, helps in carbohydrate metabolism, prevents heart diseases and helps produce red blood cells.
4. Folic Acid : Folic acid is an essential vitamin required throughout pregnancy.
5. Iron : Iron is essential in the chemical reactions that produce energy from foods. Eat more greens and garden cress seeds to prevent you from being anaemic. Here are the top 7 sources of iron rich foods.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 353 calories that come from one serving of of Amiri Khaman?
Walking (6 kmph) = 1 hour 46 mins
Running (11 kmph) = 35 mins
Cycling (30 kmph) = 47 mins
Swimming (2 kmph) = 61 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.