How many calories does one serving of Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk have?
One serving of Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk gives 341 calories. Out of which carbohydrates comprise 122 calories, proteins account for 14 calories and remaining calories come from fat which is 205 calories. One serving of Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk provides about 17 percent of the total daily calorie requirement of a standard adult diet of 2,000 calories.
Click here to view Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk recipe. Aloo gobi methi tuk recipe | Indian style aloo gobhi methi tuk | Potato cauliflower and fenugreek sabzi | Easy Sindhi recipe |
aloo gobi methi tuk is a simple recipe with a simple cooking style and use of basic spices. Learn how to make Indian style aloo gobhi methi tuk.
Tongue-tickler to the core, the potato cauliflower and fenugreek sabzi is a tasty sabzi featuring deep-fried veggies perked up with a traditional tempering and fenugreek leaves.
To make aloo gobi methi tuk, heat the oil for deep-frying in a deep non-stick pan and fry the potatoes and cauliflower florets one by one, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper. Keep aside. Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and asafoetida followed by ginger-green chilli paste and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds. Add the fenugreek leaves and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Add the fried potato and cauliflower pieces, chaat masala and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Serve hot.
Deep-frying the potato wedges with the peels on in this easy Sindhi recipe, gives it a rustic flavour that you will thoroughly enjoy. Fenugreek and chaat masala, on the other hand, work perfectly with subtly flavoured veggies like potatoes and cauliflower. The combo raises this subzi to a very high rank on the flavour scale.
Tips for aloo gobi methi tuk.
1. Deep-fry the baby potatoes on a medium flame preferably so they fry well.
2. Do not deep-fry the potatoes and cauliflower too much in advance. Fry them just before making the sabzi.
You can also make only Aloo Tuk and enjoy it as a starter with a special masala powder made of dry mango powder, chilli powder, salt and black pepper powder.
This recipe makes use of baby potatoes which are parboiled and double fried to get the perfect crispiness.
Is Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk healthy?
No, Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk is not healthy. Aloo (potatoes) is the main ingredients of this recipe. It is high in simple carbohydrates which lead to weight gain and are not healthy for anyone.
Let's understand the Ingredients Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk.
What's good in Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk.
Methi (fenugreek leaves) : Methi leaves are low in calorie, powerful antioxidant, cures mouth ulcers. Rich in Vitamin K which is good for bone metabolism. See all benefits of methi leaves here.
Cauliflower (phool gobi) : Cauliflower is extremely low in carbs and therefore does not raise blood glucose levels quickly. One cup Cauliflower provides you 100% off your daily recommended allowance of Vitamin C. It is rich in Antioxidant. Being rich in Indoles, Cauliflower and other Cruciferous Vegetables like broccoli, kale, radish, brussel sprouts, red cabbage maintain Estrogen balances which is crucial for women. Read here for detailed benefits of cauliflower.
Benefits of Cumin Seeds ( jeera) : The most common benefit of jeera known to many is to soothe the stomach, intestine and the entire digestive tract. Cumin seeds are apparently a very good source of iron. A tbsp. of cumin seeds can fulfil nearly 20% of days iron requirement. Even small quantity of cumin seeds has huge amounts of calcium – a bone supporting mineral. They aid is digestion, weight loss and help reduce inflammation. See detailed benefits of cumin seeds, jeera.
Hing ( Asafoetida) : The active compound 'coumarin' helps in managing blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Asafoetida is known to have anti-bacterial properties, which helps to keep asthma at bay. Asafoetida is an age-old remedy for bloating and other stomach problems like flatulence. The best solution is to gulp down little hing with water or dissolve it in water and sip it. It can also be used along with curd or almond oil as a hair mask. It helps to prevent dryness of hair and smoothen as well as strengthen hair.
Ginger (Adrak) : Ginger is an effective cure for congestion, sore throat, cold and cough. It aids digestion and relieves constipation. Ginger was found as effective as drugs in relieving menstrual pain. Ginger is effective in decreasing the cholesterol levels in patients with high cholesterol. Ginger significantly reduces symptoms of nausea in pregnant ladies. See here for 16 Super Health Benefits of Adrak, Ginger.
Green Chillies : Antioxidant vitamin C in green chillies protects the body from effects of harmful free radicals and prevents stress. It is probably the high fiber which helps in controlling blood sugar levels. This it is a welcome addition to a diabetic diet. Suffering from anaemia? Add green chillies to your list of iron rich foods too. For complete details see benefits of green chilli.
What's problem in Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk.
Potatoes (Aloo) : This recipe uses 1.5 cups boiled potatoes. Being high in simple carbohydrates they will lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. See full details on why potatoes are bad for you.
Vegetable Oils : To some vegetable oil is only soyabean oil, while some promote it as a mix of oils like soyabean, canola, sunflower, corn and other omega-6 rich oils. These are often cheaper options than many oils, but they are highly processed oils. They are undoubtedly not to be reached out for, whether you are looking for salad dressings, sautéing or cooking. The 5 best oils used in cooking are olive oil (low temperature short time cooking), avocado oil, canola oil, coconut oil and peanut oil. You must read the super article to find the facts of which oil is the healthiest avoid vegetable oil.
Deep fried foods : This recipe is deep fried. Any food that is deep fried is not suitable for healthy living. Your fat levels increase as deep frying increases oil absorption. Also when you use the same oil again for deep frying then smoking point decreases which leads to the development of blue smoke which is not good for health. Processed food, Deep Fried Foods also increases inflammation in the body and shuts down the fat burning process. Most diseases from heart, to cardio vascular, diabetes, parkinsons, alzheimer, cancer and obesity result when the cells get inflamed and then they don't function correctly. Inflammation in the arteries can cause heart attacks. So your diet should contain foods that fight inflammation in the body. That's how your body gets healthier by eating the right stuff.
Note : 1 cup = 200 ml (standard cup available in the market). The weight in grams varies for each ingredient.
Can diabetics, heart patients and over weight individuals have Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk?
No, this recipe has too many carbs due to the usage of potatoes. Its lead to weight gain and are not good for people with diabetes, heart problem and obesity. Vegetable oil is highly processed oils, used for deep frying. So better to avoid eating this subzi.
What is a healty option to Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk for Diabetics and others?
We suggest a healthy vegetable like bhindi masala recipe which is low cal and in this case made with zero oil and has plenty of fibre. You can have the bhindi masala with a whole wheat roti.
Can healthy individuals have Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk?
No, this subzi is not good for healthy lifestyle. This subzi got too much potatoes as they tend to spike blood sugar levels. Good to skip it.
8 Pointers to get healthy on a Indian diet
1. Eat healthy and say yes to good home cooked food. Prefer whole grains like oatmeal, quinoa, buckwheat, barley and healthy flours like bajra flour, jowar flour, quinoa flour, wheat flour etc. rather than refined ones like maida. Have healthy Indian fats like ghee, coconut, coconut oil in your diet.
2. Opt out of junk food, packaged food, deep fried foods. Prefer steamed snacks and other non-fried snacks. Check out some Healthy Indian Snacks. Remember to eat small frequent meals through the day as that will keep you always full and prevent your blood sugar from dropping. By starving your body through some diet, will not help you one bit. In fact, dieting will make you binge on 2 to 3 meals which is not good.
3. Have 4 to 5 servings of vegetables and 2 to 3 servings of fruit is a must. Follow the logic of a vegetable in each main meal of the day and a fruit in-between meals. Check out a few Healthy Indian Soups and Healthy Indian Salads recipes using this food group.
4. Cut down on sugar and salt in your diet and pick honey ( very small amounts) or dates to sweeten your food. Slowly cut the sugar habit as this is not going to happen over night. Sugar is also called white poison. It is a simple carbohydrate with zero nutritional value. On intake, sugar will cause inflammation of the body which will last for many hours. It will spike your blood sugar level and shut down the fat burning process. This also causes high blood sugar levels in your body. The development of prediabetes comes from uncontrolled eating sugar and refined food products for many years and the classic symptom is if you have excess belly fat. This leads to diabetes and further onwards to heart attack, high blood pressure, strokes, impotence and kidney damage.
Salt and blood pressure. Apart from stress and obesity, one of the main reasons for high blood pressure is excessive sodium and salt intake. Most people find it difficult to limit the amount of salt in their cooking, thinking it will affect the taste of their favourite dishes.
This is not true. Bajra and jowar are rich in potassium and critical for those with High Blood Pressure as it lessens the impact of sodium. Eating more Potassium Rich Foods will remove more sodium from your body through urine. So include the basic bajra roti and jowar roti in your daily diet to have with Lower Blood Pressure Subzis Recipes.
5. Befriend a few healthy seeds and nuts like chia seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts and almonds.
6. Sprouts are called ‘living food’. They are high is most nutrients and easy to digest as well. Let them feature in your meals at least thrice a week. Also Read : All Benefits about Sprouts.
7. Exercise 45 minutes every day. No excuse. You can walk fast, run, do weights, play your favourite sport or go to the gym.
8. Sleep early and get up early. Get your body into rhythm and it will function best. Sleep helps your body to recover.
Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk is high in
1. Vitamin C : Vitamin C is a great defence against coughs and colds.
Note : a recipe is deemed high in a Vitamin or mineral if it meets 20% and above the recommended daily allowance based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
How to burn 341 calories that come from one serving of Aloo Gobi Methi Tuk?
|Walking (6 kmph) =
|| 1 hour 42 mins
|Running (11 kmph) =
|| 34 mins
|Cycling (30 kmph) =
|| 45 mins
|Swimming (2 kmph) =
|| 58 mins
Note: These values are approximate and calorie burning differs in each individual.