by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 26 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 14603 times
An innovative dosa of whole wheat flour and urad flour fortified with spinach purée offers you a great way to top up on iron. When you are pregnant, everybody keeps telling you to have more greens, especially spinach, which is a storehouse of iron. Spinach is also rich in vitamin A and folic acid, both of which are antioxidants that help fight harmful free radicals in the body, and are also essential for the healthy development of your baby’s skin.
But having spinach in the same way every day will make you bored of it. Including it in different ways, such as this Spinach Dosa will ensure that you keep up your intake of greens without getting bored. This recipe is reasonably quick and easy as it just makes use of readymade flours, and does not require fermentation also. So, those moms-to-be who suffer from acidity can also enjoy this healthy snack.
- Combine the urad dal and fenugreek seeds along with enough water in a deep bowl and soak for 2 hours. Drain well.
- Blend in a mixer using ½ cup of water till smooth.
- Transfer the urad dal-fenugreek seeds mixture into a deep bowl, add the spinach purée, whole wheat flour, salt and approx. 1 cup of water and mix very well.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle), sprinkle a little water on it and wipe it off gently using a muslin cloth.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter on it and spread it in a circular motion to make a 175 mm. (7”) diameter thin circle.
- Smear ¼ tsp of oil over it and along the edges and cook on a medium flame till the dosa turns light brown in colour from both the sides.
- Repeat steps 4 to 6 to make 7 more dosas.
- Serve immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.
- Approx. 2½ cups of chopped spinach when blanched, drained and blended in a mixer gives ½ cup of spinach purée.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per dosa
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.