Rajma Brown Rice, Low Salt Recipe
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 6 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 2776 times
Rajma Chawal is one of the most famous rice preparations in North India, specially the Delhi region. It is a convenient option to carry in lunch boxes too, as it is satiating and flavour-packed.
Here is a healthy version of this North Indian rice delicacy made using brown rice and with lower salt content, to make it suitable for those with high blood pressure. This Rajma Brown Rice is also quite easy to make.
Cook the brown rice and keep it aside. Pressure cook the rajma with the masalas, and add the brown rice to it. Voila, a sumptuous and tasty meal is ready to relish.
You can also try other low-salt recipes like One Meal Soup or Bulgur Wheat Pongal .
- Soak the rajma in enough water in a deep bowl for 8 hours. Drain well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker and add the cumin seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the rajma and 1 cup of water, mix well and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the cooked brown rice, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.