Ragi Bhakri Chivda , Maharashtrian Snack
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 8 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 3359 times
Ragi Bhakri is an ever-popular Maharashtrian bread that is homely and satiating. Here, bhakri transforms into a scrumptious chivda with a dash of spice powders and taste-enhancing ingredients like ginger, garlic and green chillies.
A tempering of mustard and cumin seeds boosts the aroma, while a basket of veggies makes the Ragi Bhakri Chivda even more sumptuous and tasty. This quick and tasty snack can be made with leftover bhakri also.
Try your hand at more such nachni-based dishes like Nachni Dosa and Mini Nachni Pancake .
- Combine the red millet, whole wheat flour, green chilli paste, garlic paste, ginger paste, spinach and salt, mix well and knead it into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 5 equal portions.
- Flatten a portion of dough on a dusted plastic sheet to make a 150 mm. (6”) diameter circle using your fingers.
- Lift the roti with the plastic sheet and invert the roti on a hot non-stick tava (griddle) and apply little water on it and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Turn it over and cook for another 1 minute or till light brown spots appear on the surface.
- Then turn it over onto an open flame and cook on both sides for a few seconds till it puffs up.
- Repeat steps 3 to 6 to make 4 more bhakris.
- Tear it into small and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds sauté on a medium flam for few seconds.
- Add the onions, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
- Add the bhakri, green peas, lemon juice, sugar, coriander and salt and mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||837.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.2 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.8 mg|
|Vitamin C||16.3 mg|
|Folic Acid||16.9 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.