Papad Stuffed Parathas
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 175 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 62667 times
In most homes, left-overs vegetables are used for making delicious stuffed parathas. But this is a paratha with a difference.
Since papad is a personal favourite of mine, I have invented this unique type of paratha with a spicy papad filling.
I have used fried papad for the stuffing, but you can also roast the papads if you wish. I am sure this Papad Stuffed Paratha will be an all time favourite for all papad lovers.
Enjoy how to make Papad Stuffed Parathas recipe with detailed step by step photos below.
- Combine all the ingredients and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Cover with a muslin cloth and keep aside for 15 minutes. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
- Heat the oil for deep-frying, put the papad one at a time and deep-fry till golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper. Crush the papad lightly. Keep aside.
- Put the onions in a deep bowl, add little salt and mix well.
- Cover with a lid and keep aside for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze out all the extra water and keep aside.
- In a deep bowl , add the deep-fried papad, onions, chilli powder, coriander and little salt and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal parts. Keep aside.
- Roll out one portion of the dough into a circle of 75 mm. (3") diameter.
- Place one portion of the papad filling in the center of the dough circle.
- Bring together all the sides in the center and seal tightly.
- Roll out again into a circle of 125 mm. (5") diameter with the help of a little flour.
- Cook the paratha on a tava (griddle), using 1 tsp of peanut oil until both sides are golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make 5 more parathas.
- Serve the papad stuffed parathas hot.
Papad Stuffed Parathas recipe with step by step photos
Like Papad Stuffed Parathas. Paratha
or stuffed paratha
are sumptuous Indian flat-breads that can be relished with curd, pickle, raita or even sabji. They can be as simple as the plain paratha
or something as filling as the gobhi paratha or the cheese paratha
. Below are some of my favorite stuffed paratha recipes that you can relish for breakfast
For making the dough of papad paratha, in a deep bowl, take 1 cup whole wheat flour.
Add 1 tsp oil. Oil can be substituted with ghee. The fat helps in making parathas softer.
Add salt to taste.
Gradually add water to form a dough. The quantity of water will depend upon the quality of flour. Knead into a soft dough using enough water. We have used approx. 5 tbsp of water. Always while making stuffed paratha knead the dough little soft so it is easy to roll the parathas.
Cover the dough with a muslin cloth or a plate and keep aside for 15 minutes.
Put the onions in a deep bowl.
Add little salt.
Mix it very well with your hands.
Cover with a lid and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
Squeeze out all the extra water from the onions by pressing it between your palms. Keep aside.
Heat the oil for deep-frying in a deep non-stick pan. If you are health conscious, then roast the papad on direct flame or in a microwave instead of frying. When the oil is hot, deep-fry papad one by one on a medium flame till golden brown and crisp.
Remove the papad in a plate on absorbent paper and drain the excess oil.
Crush the papad lightly.
Transfer the onions in a deep bowl.
Add the crushed papad
Add the green chilli. If you like spicier food, then add little chilli powder.
Add the coriander.
Add the salt. Remember papad itself has salt so, be careful while adding salt.
Mix lightly and our papad filling is ready.
Divide the papad filling into 6 equal parts. Keep aside.
To make Papad Stuffed Parathas, divide the dough into 6 equal portions.
Flatten one portion in between your palms. Dip in flour and dust off excess flour.
To prepare the papad stuffed paratha, roll out one portion of dough into a circle of 75 mm. (3") diameter using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
Place one portion of the papad filling in the center of the dough circle.
Bring together all the sides in the center. Seal tightly.
Turn the paratha, press lightly and roll out again into a circle of 125 mm. (5") diameter with the help of a little flour.
Place the stuffed papad paratha gently on the hot tava. Cook one side of the paratha till you see small bubbles on top of the paratha.
Flip the paratha and cook using 1 tsp peanut oil until both sides are golden brown. Press the papad stuffed parathas on the edges and cook well.
Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make 5 more papad parathas.
Serve the papad stuffed parathas hot. If you liked this recipe of stuffed papad paratha then also check out: Stuffed Paneer Green Pea Paratha, Stuffed Nachni Paratha, Stuffed Buckwheat Paratha
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.