Moong Dal and Methi Kachuri, Baked Kachodi
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 1 cookbook
This recipe has been viewed 872 times
A Bengali Recipes -style snack with a healthy twist, the Moong Dal and Methi Kachuri is one that you can relish without any guilt!
We have done away with maida and used a mix of healthy flours to make the top cover of this kachori, which is baked with a perfectly-spiced stuffing of moong dal and methi leaves.
The methi not only adds to the nutrient-quotient of this dish but also gives it a tongue-tickling, almost addictive flavour!
Baked and not deep-fried, this iron-rich snack is a wonderful tea-time accompaniment. You can do away with the 1/2 tsp of sugar if you are serving this to diabetics.
- Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl and knead well into a semi-stiff dough, using enough water. Cover with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine the yellow moong dal and enough water in a deep bowl and soak for 1 hour. Drain well.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the mustard seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the soaked and drained moong dal, chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, salt and ½ cup of water and mix well. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 6 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Lightly mash it using a potato masher. Keep aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the fenugreek leaves, sugar and little salt and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked yellow moong dal mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool completely.
- Divide the filling into 14 equal portions and keep aside.
- Divide the dough into 14 equal portions and keep aside.
- Roll out a portion of the dough into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter thin circle without using any flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre. Bring together all the edges in the centre, seal them tightly and flatten it slightly.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make 13 more kachuris.
- Brush each kachuri with little oil and arrange on a greased baking tray.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 15 minutes. Turn them over and again bake for 15 minutes or till they turn crisp and light brown in colour.
- Cool slightly and serve immediately with green chutney.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per kachuri
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.