Mini Bean Tacos ( Tiffin Treats)
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 52 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 11305 times
Imagine the delight on your kids’ faces when they find a totally unexpected favourite in their snack box! Treats like Pizzas , tacos, etc., are generally reserved for special occasions, and often enjoyed only at home or at eateries because most people think they will not be good if packed in a lunch box. But, if prepared the right way, you can pack these surprises to school! These Mini Bean Tacos, for example, stay good in the dabba for 5 hours. The taco shells can be made in advance and stored in an airtight container. The rajma too can be soaked, pressure-cooked and refrigerated the previous night itself, so that in the morning you just need to cut and assemble the rest. The shell and topping are packed separately, so that it does not get soggy. At school, your child can have fun filling in the shells and munching on it along with friends. If you wish to make more taco shells, just double the quantity of the ingredients.
- Sieve the maize flour and plain flour together in a deep bowl.
- Add the oregano, carom seeds, turmeric powder, oil and salt and knead into a semi-stiff dough using enough warm water.
- Divide the dough into 3 equal portions.
- Roll out a portion into a 225 mm. (9”) diameter circle using a little plain flour for rolling and prick it with a fork at regular intervals.
- Cut out 3 circles of 75 mm. (3”) diametereach.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 to make 12 more taco shells or till the dough gets over.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, 1 at a time, till it turns light brown in colour from both the sides.
- Once it turns light brown, immediately shape it into a shell (‘u’ shape) using a pair of tongs and a frying laddle and continue deep-frying while holding the shell till it turns golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain it on an absorbent paper.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 to make 13 more taco shells.
- Allow it to cool completely, store in an air-tight container. Keep aside.
- Combine the rajma, baking soda, salt and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Drain the excess water and keep the rajma aside to cool completely.
- Combine the cooked rajma, and all the remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Keep aside.
- Pack the taco shells in an air-tight box and the rajma filling with cheese sprinkled on top in a separate air-tight tiffin box.
Nutrient values per mini taco
|Vitamin A||47.7 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0 mg|
|Vitamin C||1.6 mg|
|Folic Acid||1.2 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.