Kathal ki Subzi, Jack Fruit Curry
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 87 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 345914 times
When jackfruit is in season, you see not only the pulpy fruit but also the small, raw vegetables in the market.
While some people are familiar with the traditional methods of preparing such rare and seasonal veggies, others are curious.
This recipe gives you a quick and easy way to enjoy raw jackfruit. The vegetable is combined with commonly-available spices, spice powders and other ingredients like onions, tomatoes, ginger, and so on, and pressure-cooked.
It is important to continue cooking the Kathal ki Subzi for a few minutes after pressure cooking, for the raw smell to go. Kathal has a unique texture, which makes this curry really fascinating.
Enjoy it hot and fresh with dal and an Indian bread . You can try serving it with Whole Wheat Coriander and Sesame Seeds Naan and Dal Moghlai .
- Combine the jackfruit, turmeric, 1 tablespoon of oil and little salt in a deep bowl, mix gently and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Put the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, cinnamon, cloves and bayleaves in a pressure cooker and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions, ginger and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, coriander seeds powder, cumin seeds powder and chilli powder, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the marinated jackfruit mixture and salt sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add 1½ cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Open the cooker and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values per serving
|Vitamin A||238.1 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0 mg|
|Vitamin B3||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin C||19.7 mg|
|Folic Acid||12.6 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.