Hearty Red Lentil Soup, Healthy Masoor Dal Soup
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 114 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 42157 times
There is an unmistakable Turkish influence in this soup. Made with the humble red lentil, this soup is so wholesome and satiating, it can double up as a one-dish meal on days when you feel tired and need a bit of pampering and soul-warming!
Lentils give protein to strengthen the cells of your body and iron to build the haemoglobin stores. Vegetables like tomatoes, onions and carrot along with mint give this Hearty Red Lentil Soup more nutrients and an exotic flavour too. Low-fat milk makes the soup richer and creamier, and tones down the strong flavour of lentils, even while contributing its share of calcium.
Munch on Baked Tortilla Chips or Jowar and Sesame Khakhra along with the soup for a satiating feel.
- Heat a small non-stick pan and when hot, add the mint leaves and dry roast on a slow flame for 3 minutes. Keep aside.
- Combine the masoor dal, onions, carrot, tomatoes and 2 cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Cool slightly and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a deep non-stick pan, add the roasted mint leaves, chilli flakes, salt, 1 cup of water and mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.