Harissa Sauce, Spicy Red Chilli Sauce
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 7 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 4425 times
Snazzy and spicy, the Harissa Sauce is guaranteed to warm your taste buds! A traditional treat from North Africa, the Harissa Sauce has red chillies as its primary ingredient, complemented by other spices like cumin, coriander, fennel, etc.
An assortment of spices gives this sauce a flavour that is not singularly hot but holistically spicy, with a good mix of flavours. You can make a batch of this sauce and store it in an airtight container in the freezer for over 15 days.
Use it to make tongue-tickling treats like Potatoes in Harissa Sauce , or serve as an accompaniment for snacks . You can serve it with Mint and Masoor Tikki or Lehsuni Matki Palak Tikki .
- Soak the red dry chillies along with enough hot water in a deep bowl, cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 1 hour.
- Drain the chillies and keep 1 cup of the chilli water aside.
- Combine the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds and caraway seeds in a small non-stick pan and sauté on a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Cool and blend in a mixer till coarse.
- Add the garlic, soaked chillies, salt and 1 cup of the chilli water and blend till smooth.
- Add the olive oil and vinegar and blend again.
- Serve with any starter or store in an air-tight container in the freezer for 15 days. Use as required.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per tbsp
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.