Gobi Manchurian, How To Make Gobi Manchurian, Starter
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 199 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 39819 times
A remote village en route from Coimbatore to Pollachi in Tamil Nadu, a tiny restaurant was selling tasty vegetarian food. He had got the spelling of Gobi Manchurian all wrong, but the “Gopi Manjurian” tasted fantastic and warmed us up on that chilly winter’s evening!
Borrowed from Chinese cuisine, this spicy starter has become famous all over India, spanning the length and breadth of the country, being sold in small eateries as well as posh restaurants.
With sharp tinges of ginger and garlic, these crisp-fried cauliflower florets are a delight to bite into.
Together with tongue-tickling sauces and crunchy veggies like capsicum, they make a really tasty dish that you can have as such as a starter or as a Main Course when served atop Fried Rice !
- Combine the cauliflower florets and the ginger-garlic paste in a deep bowl, mix well, cover with a lid and keep aside to marinate for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, dip each marinated cauliflower floret in the prepared batter and deep-fry on a medium flame a few at a time, till they turn golden brown in colour from all the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper. Keep aside.
- Combine the cornflour and 2 tbsp water in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic, ginger paste and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the celery and spring onions and sauté on high flame for 1 minute.
- Add the capsicum and sauté on high flame for 1 minute.
- Add the red chilli sauce, soy sauce, vinegar and salt and sauté on a high flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cornflour-water mixture, mix well and cook on a high flame for a few seconds.
- Add the deep-fried cauliflower florets, toss well and cook on a high flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately garnished with spring onion greens.
Gobi Manchurian (Cauliflower Manchurian) Video by Tarla Dalal
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.