Fatless Maa ki Dal
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 145 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 43227 times
Think dal and the first thing that comes to mind is mother’s cooking.
While moms are generally fond of pampering their children with oodles of ghee and butter, we must learn to tone down on these fatty ingredients as we grow up! So, here a fatless version of Maa ki Dal, which not only retains the same love and care, but traditional flavour too! This recipe stays away from high fat butter and cream, and uses low-fat curds to recreate the same rich texture. Enjoy this potassium rich Fatless Maa ki Dal steaming hot with whole wheat phulkas or rice.
- Clean, wash and soak the urad dal in enough water for 3 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Combine the soaked and drained urad dal, onions and 1½ cups of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Mix it lightly using a whisk.
- Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, prepared paste, coriander-cumin seeds powder, chilli powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes or till the dal thickens.
- Add the curds and mix well.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Nutrient values (Abbrv) per serving
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.