Dhokla Sushi with Carrots
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 30 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 20421 times
Everybody loves Sushi, but it is not easy to make. Sometimes we don’t have the time, sometimes we don’t get the ingredients, and sometimes we are afraid of whether we can handle the sticky rice properly.
Well, this Dhokla Sushi with Carrots is an opportunity for everybody to make and enjoy a homemade sushi-like snack anytime they want! It is a fusion of Indian and Japanese cuisine, in which a dhokla made with idli batter forms the base of the sushi.
The sheet is lined with black sesame seeds and coconut on one side, and layered with carrot strips, cheese and koro sambhar powder on the inner side, before rolling and cutting it up like sushi.
Koro sambhar, a Gujarati spice powder gives the Dhokla Sushi with Carrots a really tongue-tickling flavour, while the contrasting colours of white and orange make the dish a delight to behold. Serve the sushi with Wasabi Mayo Sauce to experience a blast of spice!
When you have more time, try pucca sushi recipes like the Cucumber Sushi and Avocado and Cream Cheese Sushi as well as other Oriental delicacies like the Steamed Wontons .
- Combine idli batter, oil, curd and salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Pour 1/3 cup of the prepared batter on a greased thali and tap well to spread evenly.
- Steam it in a steamer for 3 to 4 minutes or till done. Keep aside.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make one more dhokla thali.
- Cool slightly, loosen the edges and remove using a flat steel ladle. Keep aside.
- Place a cling film on a clean, dry and flat surface, brush it with little oil and sprinkle half the black sesame-chilli flakes mixture evenly over it.
- Place one dhokla sheet over it and spread 1 tbsp cheese spread evenly over it using a butter knife.
- Place 10 carrot strips over lapping each other on one side and sprinkle ½ tsp koro sambhar evenly over the carrot strips.
- Roll it very tightly, pressing each time while rolling. Make sure you do not roll the cling film while rolling.
- Place the rolled dhokla sushi on a clean dry surface and cut it into 8 equal portions using a sharp knife.
- Repeat steps 6 to 10 to make one more sushi.
- Serve immediately with wasabi mayo.
Nutrient values per piece
|Vitamin A||964.3 mcg|
|Vitamin B1||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B2||0.1 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.4 mg|
|Vitamin C||2.1 mg|
|Folic Acid||28.8 mcg|
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.