Chana Dal Paratha
by Tarla Dalal
Added to 305 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 99988 times
You are sure to have tried making Parathas with varied fillings ranging from potato, green peas and other veggies to cooked moong dal and even spinach. However, you will find that this Chana Dal Paratha has a unique texture and rich flavour, which is a class apart from the rest. While the basic dough is a standard whole wheat flour one, it is the stuffing that makes this paratha mind-blowing. A mixture of cooked chana dal perked up with spice powders like peppy garam masala and tangy amchur as well as other complementary ingredients like onions and coriander, gives this dish a wonderfully balanced texture and peppy flavour, which is sure to steal your heart. Enjoy it fresh off the Tava with your favourite Raitas / Kachumber or fresh curds and Pickles / Aachar .
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and keep aside.
- Wash and soak the chana dal in enough water in a deep bowl for 1 hour. Drain well.
- Boil enough water in a deep non-stick pan, add the chana dal and salt and mix well. Cook on a medium flame for 20 minutes or till the dal is cooked.
- Strain using a strainer and keep aside to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, blend it in a mixer to a coarse mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl, add all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the stuffing into 12 equal portions and keep aside
- Roll a portion of the dough into a 100 mm. (4”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Place a portion of the stuffing in the centre of the circle.
- Bring together all the sides in the centre and seal tightly.
- Roll again into a circle of 125 mm. (5”) diameter circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the paratha on a medium flame, using a little oil, till golden brown spots appear on both the sides.
- Repeat steps 1 to 5 to make 11 more parathas.
- Serve immediately with fresh curds.
- At step 2 for the stuffing, cook the chana dal till it is just tender and not over cooked or mushy.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.