Ridge Gourd Chutney
by Tarla Dalal
5/5 stars 100% LIKED IT
Added to 37 cookbooks
This recipe has been viewed 37971 times
South Indians often combine roasted dals with sautéed veggies to make delicious chutneys, which go very well with idlis, dosas, puris and just about any snack. To enjoy these chutneys the traditional way, mix them with steaming hot rice topped with a dash of til oil or ghee, and relish with roasted urad papads. Here is how to make Ridge Gourd Chutney in this fashion. You will love this method of including ridge gourd in your diet, and surely want to explore similar chutneys with other veggies too.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a non-stick kadhai, add the ridge gourd peels and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- For the tempering, heat the remaining 1 tsp of oil in the same kadhai and add the mustard seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the chana dal, urad dal, asafoetida and red chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Pour the tempering over the sautéed ridge gourd peels and mix well.
- Add the coriander, tamarind, coconut, salt and ¼ cup of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Store in an air-tight container and use as required.
REGISTER NOW If you are a new user.
Or Sign In here, if you are an existing member.
If your Gmail or Facebook email id is registered with Tarladalal.com, the accounts will be merged. If the respective id is not registered, a new Tarladalal.com account will be created.
Click OK to sign out from tarladalal.
For security reasons (specially on shared computers), proceed to Google and sign out from your Google account.